Sign in to follow this  
LongTime

Does My Rod Work Right For My Reel? What Is This Set Up Good For?

Hi all,

Instead of asking "what to get for my needs?", I'm asking backwards:  "here's what I have, is it good together?" "And if so, what is it good at?"

I'm a newbie to baitcasting.  And to "real" bass fishing.  I've caught bass, trout and panfish for years with spinning tackle.  Some on worms (live); some on spinners; way back when on Hula Poppers, etc.

My ex brother in law killed the bass with jigs and plastic worms, and swears by baitcasters with a stiffer tip so he can feel bass mouth his plastics.  (I haven't seen him in ten years, though, so he's not around to advise me or teach me).  With my micro spinning set ups, and a super soft, whippy pole, I could not feel the fish nearly as well.  

Plus I thought it would be fun to learn something different.

So I bought an auction item at  a charity event -- my first baitcasting combo.  Unfortunately, my local sporting goods fishing department guy told me that he thinks the reel and pole are not designed to go together.  Before I go to the trouble of selling the pole on Ebay, I thought I'd ask if he was right.

Here's the set-up:

Reel:  Shimano Curado 200 DHSV

Rod:  Shimano Carbomax, 6'6", MH, Fast action.  (seems very stiff).

Do these work well together?  If so, what will this set up be good at?

I don't have a boat, and intend to use my new set up for walking around shallow, man-made lakes in SoCal, with green water, trying a variety of  lures:  everything from frogs, to crawdads, to rat-l traps, large spinnners, maybe even the Castaic artifical trout.  Also would like to learn plastic worms and grubs better.  In short, every thing but the smaller spinners and flashers I use with my micro set ups.  I will need to cast far, and while not rocky, the terrain is usually weedy and reedy.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks.

That set up should be great for throwing  just about any bait in the 3/8 to 3/4 ounce range.

You can throw lighter baits on it but it is frustrating for a baitcast beginner, I speak from experience after picking out a lot of "professional overuns". ;D

Once you get the hang of it you can lighten up lures if you need to.   I like my 6.6 MH for throwing weightless worms and 4" senko's but it takes practice.

Good luck!

Am also bank bound..... ;)

Reel:  Shimano Curado 200 DHSV

Rod:  Shimano Carbomax, 6'6", MH, Fast action.  (seems very stiff).

When you say everything from frogs, to crawdads do you mean the king size live dads that are in the creaks on the apartment complex' in San Deigo or plastic imitations?

rat-l traps, large spinnners.. yes on large (within rods lure ratings) spinners. No on traps rod is to short, and tip to stiff... IMO

plastic worms: yes

I will need to cast far: That will depend on your total setup (Rod, Reel setup, Line, Lure) and your abilities.

I have my Greenie Curado 201's on a couple of 6'6" MHF customs and use them for up close t-rigs or jigs..

Tight Lines!!!!  

Thank you.

Reel Mechanic -- much of your shorthand went over my head.

But when it comes to Crawdads, I'm not referring to live bait but the artificials.

I'm in OC.

Sounds like you're in SD.

If you ever want to acquaint a newbie with real bass fishing just let me know.

Ditto on what they said. I think the only important thing is getting accustomed to using the baitcaster. To me the reel is a good reel to learn on,  and easy to maintain. This combo should be good for spinnerbaits, Texas rigs - as long as you stay in the vicinity of the weight spec on the rod, most crankbaits. Bass get bigger where you live so you might want to start with 12lb. test and through trial and error figure out what works best for you. Yozuri Hybrid, and Izorline are my favs. Good luck

Thank you.

Reel Mechanic -- much of your shorthand went over my head.

But when it comes to Crawdads, I'm not referring to live bait but the artificials.

I'm in OC.

Sounds like you're in SD.

If you ever want to acquaint a newbie with real bass fishing just let me know.

LongTime,

Nope in the south central US, Wichita KS to be exact.

Grew up in the OC (Chapman & Brookhurst) and went back to get my training at the factories. Fished the Santa Ana River Lakes and all the SD lakes chasing monsters with spinning gear 6lb test, and #6 hooks, and, 4" hand pours reapers, paddle tails, etc....

In 40' gin clear waters......... ;)

Tight Lines!!!!