Sign in to follow this  
JCMAN

braided line with rattletrap

last weekend went fishing and second cast with a trap i had a bass on and fought it for awhile and then it jumped and the lure came out  is that because braided line has no stretch? should i change to mono or keep the braided for rattle traps and rapalas  ?  that was the only fish that had bit for two hours dont know why.

As far as whether or not your getting bit using that line I don't think that matters. I have theorys about it but would really like to see underwater video in slow mo to actually know if it changes the lures action or wiggle.I have braid on almost all my rods.I am also not fishing clear water.It has its good and bad sides just like any line type.

Yes braid has no stretch.Rattle traps are the worst of all evils for fish jumping and getting away anyways and braid makes it that much worse.

Cranks and topwaters or any treble hooked lure in general is better for keeping fish when using mono.The stretchier line acts as a shock absorber when the fish surges and shakes.Other ways to compensate are to use a more parabolic(bendier)rod and to set your drag a little looser than normal and play the fish with the rod instead trying to winch them in.You can also tie a mono leader 3-6 feet long,which helps, but that will depend on whether you can tie a good knot and have also confidence in it

jcman, i feel your pain...i've been there dozens of times in the past. the problem is not the braided line but your rod. i'm guessing that you're not using a dedicated crankin' rod? when i'd use a regular bass rod with crankbaits and rattlebaits, i was constantly losing fish. after switching over to a crankin' rod, gone were short strikes and lost fish. btw, i use braid exclusively with rattlebaits and it's great. my advice: get yourself a crankin' rod (one with a moderate to moderate-fast action).

It depends where youre fishing. If your fishing alot of grass and ripping it through the grass. Braids no stretch is an advantadge when pulling it through the heavy grass. I would suggest using braid for grass and staying with mono if your fishing relatively open water. I would also suggest using a rod with a lighter action.

I use nothing but braid for rattletraps.  Instead of using a graphite rod w/ a fast action though I go and use a graphite rod w/ a moderate action or as many of the rod makers call em' : graphite cranking rods.  Another option is to use fiberglass rods.  Braid is great because alot of my trap fishing is around grass and the no strech allows me to rip it free of grass easier.

This is what i use if it works for you too than great ;) I use a 7' fiberglass medium/heavy action rod for traps. I choose this style because I feel that the limp rod makes it harder to throw a bait. I change my hooks on this style bait to tripple grip hooks. I do this because I feel that the fish tend to stay on the hook more because of the way the hook angle bends in. (it is also more weedless than a round bend treble) I use braid because I get a better hook set on long distance casts. It also makes up for the limp rod and the braid cuts through weeds better than mono.

I use nothing but braid, and have thrown Rattletraps quite a bit (mostly for Stripers).

I'd suggest using a rod with a softer tip, as well as running a lighter drag. Works fine for me.

If you wanted to buy a specific / different rod for the purpose, you could (as was mentioned above) go with a fiberglass rod, with is more forgiving.

If I had to quit using braid..... OR quit throwing rattletraps, I choose the latter :-) But together they can be okay too.

Fish

I have used nothing but braid for 3 years.  I keep the rod tip low, and sometime in the water.  This keep the bass from jumping and throwing lures.   Flint River Shoal bass are jumpers/lure throwers, the low rod tip works well  for braid and mono.

My sons use mono and have the same problem with jumping bass throwing lures.