Sign in to follow this  

Kistler 6'3" Magnesium spinning rod

What are you planning to use it for?  I bought it for a dock skipping rod which is was made for.  I got it & for a rod that is rated MH it felt more like a Medium.  And the handle is really on the short side, I guess it would be good for someone who is looking for that type of handle; I prefer one that is just a bit longer.  With the short handle the rod felt tip heavy, but it was overall light though.

I returned this rod & went to Cabelas & bought their XML rod in 6'3" medium.  Now for a rod that's rated Medium, it has a faster action & feels more like a MH...this is what I'm looking for a dock skipping rod.  The handle is just a bit longer than the one on the Kistler Magnesium of same length.  Why I want a MH 6'3" rod for dock skipping is if I decide to use mono, I have the backbone to set the hook quickly.  If I use braid no problem I just don't set the hook as hard.

Also a rod at that length is good for an all around rod.  It's a perfect length for jerkbaits & for tight areas.  

Thanks Ghost, I am looking for a skipping rod as well as a tight quarters rod. I fish a couple cypress swamps that you have to walk to get to them as the outflow is to shallow for a boat and too many knock downs. The short handle actually maybe good as alot of the cast are one handed wrist snaps.

Another rod you may want to look at but costs a bunch more is the St Croix legend 5'10".  Don't know if you want a rod that short but makes good sense for that type of fishing technique you want, but from what your're saying the Magnesium 6'3" would work very well.

Another rod you may want to look at but costs a bunch more is the St Croix legend 5'10". Don't know if you want a rod that short but makes good sense for that type of fishing technique you want, but from what your're saying the Magnesium 6'3" would work very well.

2X

went to Cabelas & bought their XML rod in 6'3" medium. Now for a rod that's rated Medium, it has a faster action & feels more like a MH...this is what I'm looking for a dock skipping rod. The handle is just a bit longer than the one on the Kistler Magnesium of same length.

I am going to look at this rod this week.  It is also on sale right now for $69.99.  I am looking for a new finesse stick in this exact length that is a tad firmer than your average finesse action.  Sounds like this one is worth looking at, especially at this price.  Thanks for the heads up ghost.