Sign in to follow this  
OIFBasser

Quantum Code combos at Dick's?

I was at Dick's yesterday and saw a Quantum Code combo for $120.

The rod is IM8 and felt decent, and the reel is 7:1. Anyone have one?

I am curious as to if they are worth it. I know that this is not an Avid with a Curado on top, but I want a 6' rod and a high speed reel due to all of my rods are 7'0 plus and want a shorter rod, but not too much cash on hand. Any input wolud be great.

You may hear different, but I love my Code.  The Code was my first venture into LP baitcasters and have had a rather good experience.  It takes a bit to get used to but once you set your ACS II and spool tension correctly to match your casting abilities, you can cast very well and far with it.  I'm not a big fan of the ACS II system, much rather have the infinite ACS but that's my only real complaint with it.  Well worth the $79 I paid for mine, and the rod feels descent too.  Have handled the combo's myself and they feel pretty good.  Can't comment on the rod but it does look nice.  Overall I would say that if the rod is descent, it would be a good purchase.  Go for it.

I too, fish with a Code and have no complaints. I can cast just about anything with it and have had very little backlash, actually I've only had one and it was 100% my fault b/c I forgot to set the reel after I had changed baits. I can't speak for the rod b/c I use a Pro Qualifier from BPS with my Code, but if its IM8 graphite I can't see how it would be bad. I mean it's not the best graphite blank out there, but its not the worst either. For $120 I'd go for it.

I too, fish with a Code and have no complaints. I can cast just about anything with it and have had very little backlash, actually I've only had one and it was 100% my fault b/c I forgot to set the reel after I had changed baits. I can't speak for the rod b/c I use a Pro Qualifier from BPS with my Code, but if its IM8 graphite I can't see how it would be bad. I mean it's not the best graphite blank out there, but its not the worst either. For $120 I'd go for it.

I too use my code with a Pro Qualifier...works very well together doesn't it.  One of my favorite combos.

I have got a Quantum Code also, and I can't complain.

I had a Code for a couple months.  Of all the Quantum reels I've owned and used, I liked it the least.  I guess it didn't fit my hand very well and even right out of the box it seemed very noisy while cranking.  It also seemed more difficult to crank, like the gears were dirty or misaligned or something like that.  Mine may have been the bad apple of the bunch, but I didn't care for it and sold it pretty quickly.  

Hi all this is my first post here, and I have had a Code for about a year.  I don't care for it casting light lures (ex. 1/4 oz crankbaits).  I seem to turn the brakes down in order to come out with any distance and but yet have to be very cautious of backlashes. I have tuned it many ways with the brakes and tension knob but haven't found a combo I liked, unless anyone has any tips or advice with the lighter stuff.   I wanted a baitcaster to be able to throw these cranks but I seem to want to switch back to my spinning gear for this.  However, before that will happen I will probably upgrade reels.  I wish  I would have saved the extra money to buy another reel. Seeing my bro in-law with his Patriarch reel is gettin to me   :). Besides that the reel has worked fine with heavier stuff and hasn't failed.

I too use my code with a Pro Qualifier...works very well together doesn't it. One of my favorite combos.

Oh yeah, it's my go to rod when throwing spinnerbaits and cranks. And I absolutely love the feel, every wobble of the crank and every spin of the blade  :)

Hi all this is my first post here, and I have had a Code for about a year. I don't care for it casting light lures (ex. 1/4 oz crankbaits). I seem to turn the brakes down in order to come out with any distance and but yet have to be very cautious of backlashes. I have tuned it many ways with the brakes and tension knob but haven't found a combo I liked, unless anyone has any tips or advice with the lighter stuff. I wanted a baitcaster to be able to throw these cranks but I seem to want to switch back to my spinning gear for this. However, before that will happen I will probably upgrade reels. I wish I would have saved the extra money to buy another reel. Seeing my bro in-law with his Patriarch reel is gettin to me :). Besides that the reel has worked fine with heavier stuff and hasn't failed.

I too had this problem with mine, and I throw a lot of lighter cranks when I fish docks after dark. At first I was using 12 lb test mono and I could feel the line wanting to backlash and my casts were fairly short. I was also trying to throw the lighter stuff with a MH rod, which also cut my casting distance down a bit. I now throw my Code using 15 lb braid using a M action rod and no longer have problems throwing lighter baits. And if I know I'll be throwing into some thicker stuff I keep my MH rod on hand so it's not hard to switch up. Hope this helps :)