Sign in to follow this  
Grouper

Going To Buy A Daiwa Viento Reel, But What Rod?

Hey everyone. This is my first post on this site!

Im new to bass fishing, But have been invited on a bass trip at the end of the month. Ive done a bit of research, and have decided to but the daiwa viento baitcastng reel. But Im having trouble choosing a rod to go with it. Im looking for a light to med action, all around use, quality rod with a good warrany.

In the 100 to 150 range. And it HAS to be a 2 piece or more.

Can anybody throw me some suggestions?

Thanks

I would say a 6'6" MF... but the two piece requirement kinda makes me draw a blank on options

welcome. anyway, if you tell us why you chose the viento, it might help us figure out an appropriate rod.

Why you chose a daiwa doesnt matter, im glad you did. Viento is a good reel.what matters is what your going to be using it for. go for a 7' m if its going to bae an all purpose go for mod or fast action. but i would definatley recommend 7'. st. croix, american rodsmith, falcon, powell,e21 all make a good rod. but dont know about the 2 peice :-/

Welcome? Look at the Shimano line of rods from the Compre down. What's your reasoning on the Viento? Just curious, beside it being a cool looking reel. 8-)

Compre:

Rod Model#:CPC66M2B (means, Compre Casting, 66 = 6'6", M = Medium Power, 2 = 2-piece)

Power/Action:Medium/Fast

Line: 8-17#

Lure Weight Range: 1/4 - 3/4 oz.

Price: $99

Clarus:

Rod Model#:CSC66M2A

Lure Weight Range: 1/4 - 5/8 oz.

Price: $69

Convergence:

Rod Model#:CVC66M2

Lure Weight Range: 1/4 - 5/8 oz.

Price: $49

For more info, go to Shimano's site and download their catalog.

sure it matters to know why the OP is choosing the viento. if it is specifically to take advantage of the twitchin' bar, then i'd suggest a rod with a extra-fast tip. if it's for the nice blue color, then i'd suggest a rod with complementary colors ;D

all kidding aside, i don't recommend to the OP to get a light action rod if you're fishing for bass. otherwise, cabela's XMLti rods are on sale right now for between $90-$100 (normally $180) and are available in a variety of lengths and actions, including a few 2-piece models.http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0030280119418a&navCount=1&podId=0030280&parentId=cat20372&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20372_TGP&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20372&hasJS=true consider a 7 footer in M or MH action.