Sign in to follow this  
twitchfish

2 Questions

Having some breakoffs with 6# Suffix Elite on my spinning rig. 2500 Sedona on a Mojo Wacky still. Is the line choice the problem? It does not break at the knot it seems. Is the drag too tight? I tie a palomar every time. What tests do I need to perform to begin rooting out the problem?

2nd Question

Trying my first Florocarbon line. Using 17# 100% for jigs. What knot do you recommend. I am trying the "Improved Cinch", but not sure I am tying it correctly, think so because haven't lost any.

As always, thanks for your help in advance - Twitch

For the fluorocarbon I would recommend the palomar, trilene, or an improved clinch with two wraps around the eyelet. Remember with fluoro its very important to make sure your knots are neat and before you cinch it down make sure its well lubricated.

How heavy is the cover? Elite is a fine line, but I think it will fare better where there is less cover. It might be just me, but its blue cousin sufix siege seems to me to be more abrasion resistant.

When fishing with such light line, it would behoove you to check the knot and the line above the knot more frequently than you do. I check my line after every 4-8 casts, especially when I am using 6# test, be it mono or fluro.

As for your drag, 25-33% of 6 is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 lbs. I wouldn't use more than 3 lbs of pressure. If you can't pull line off, you've set it too tight for 6# test. I am willing to guess that there could have been some wear and tear on your line as the cause for the break or a bad batch.

I have a spool of Seaguar Invisx 6# I have not used yet, would this possibly be a better choice?  I want to use this set-up more, but kind of lack confidence in it because of these break-offs. I DO need to be more diligent about line checking, for I am not.

What is the most reliable way to check your drag?

Setting the drag; I stand the rod in a rod-holder,  tie a loop in the line and put the loop on the hook of my digital scale.  I then pull the scale while walking away and watch the scale to see at what poundage the drag releases line and make adjustments to the drag until I have it right.  I think the "rule of thumb" is to set the drag to release line at 1/3 of the lines breaking point.  eg: If you're using 12# line, set the drag to release line at 4#s of pressure and try not to adjust it when you get a fish on.  If you get a big one and he's taking line, let'em.  You can get it back when he takes a break.

I have a spool of Seaguar Invisx 6# I have not used yet, would this possibly be a better choice? I want to use this set-up more, but kind of lack confidence in it because of these break-offs. I DO need to be more diligent about line checking, for I am not.

What is the most reliable way to check your drag?

First, Sea Guar rocks. It is an excellent choice. I use it and it at that same test.

You should make it a point to check your line frequently regardless of the line you're using. If not, it should never surprise you when it breaks or worse yet, breaks when you have your fish of a lifetime on.

Drag setting, you can do it with a scale. I go by feel because I don't have a scale. I put at least enough resistance so that when I retrieve line and it hits a minor obstruction, the handle won't spin and not retrieve line. I want the fish to be able to pull line to tire them more quickly. I would make the exception to make it tighter if I faced heavier cover, but I don't normally face that scenario.