Sign in to follow this  
BenoBreath

Dropshot/splitshot rod

Hey Guys:

Need to replace a dropshot/splitshot rod for a one that broke.

(My own fault!) :'(

Want to spend between $100-$150.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

BB

Casting or spinning?

Shimano Crucial DS Series.  I own the 7'2" M Spinning version.  This is by far one of the best DS rods for the money.  And with a great lifetime warranty (Sounds like you could make use of it) it's hard to beat.  I broke mine one time.  Took it to the store, gave them $15 and I was off with a new one no questions asked.

Some prefer the MH, but the M is also a versitile rod.  I used it for trout fishing and small jigs/tubs/etc.  You won't be dissapointed

http://www.***.com/descpageRDSSHIMANO-SCRDSR.html

In that case, I would go with a Powell Max 6'8" ML Xfast.  It has a 1/8-1/2 oz. lure rating to handle small split shot weights and heavier drop shot weights when you are faced with deeper water.

A different perspective...  On the value side, you might consider the Cabela's XMLTi ($99) or XML ($89) drop shot rods while they are on clearance.  General Purpose models are a few dollars less.

I only have experience with the XMLTi 5'6" MF Casting rod that I got last week.  So far I'm quite impressed.  I believe it may be more sensitive than my Crucial and is at least, if not, more sensitive than my Techna AV's.  Its newness may still be skewing my perception.  However, using a weightless Senko I felt the fish bite before I saw the line move.  I didn't believe it the first time, but it also happened again on the next two fish.

Leon

x2 on the Crucial DS spinning rod.  I have the 6'8" MH (not a typical MH- very light tip) and I love it.  It works great also for #5 shad raps and darter head fishing.