Sign in to follow this  
SammyLee

Reel in water, any harm?

Yesterday late, I was getting into my tube float and my rod slipped into the water, reel first.  It only went a few inches for a few seconds before I "fished" it out.  Is it harmed?  What should I do if anything?

It is a Shimano Saros 2500.

if it was salt water i would rinse it thoroughly with your hose. If in fresh water no harm no foul i sometime dip my baitcaster in water when im fishing if my line is dry and starting to chew my thumb up. If you are worried just take some reel magic to it or what ever lube you use

If it were my reel I would have broke it down and cleaned and re-lubed that night.... :o

But if the water was clear freshwater and not real silty (dirty/sandy), then drying the reel should be enough.

You will however need to re-lube your crank paddles, and if you have ever I would re-lube the pinion gear bearing. Check your drag pads also and make sure you don't have water in them.... :)

If after time you start to get some grinding, then better to be safe than sorry and have the reel serviced.... 8-)

Just my .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Thanks fellows,

It was clear freshwater.  It was pouring down rain when I got home and the rod is in the car right now cause it is still raining.  (we had a heck of a storm here in Memphis on Friday)

I'll blow dry it on the cool setting when it stops raining, lube the paddles and check the drag pads.  I guess I can just take the spool off to dry it better.  

I don't know much about reels but I like them and their mechnics.  I was a machinist mate in the Navy.  Reels are larger than a watch, smaller than an engine so that makes them kinda handy.

I hope everything was OK at Graceland.

Regarding "reel in water, any harm?' query, only if it goes into the water along with your rod.  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D