Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

Flipping stick...?

A heavy duty rod made for the technique called "flippin'". It is usually paired with a baitcasting reel spooled with heavy duty line (that has limited stretch and is abrasion resistant) like braid or fluorocarbon, which helps get the fish out of the cover and keeps it from breaking off if it were to get caught up in it. The rod also helps keep the fish out of the cover, kind of obvious though, since it it fairly stiff.

A flippin' stick is usually 7'6" or longer, usually heavy power and usually a mod-fast action.

Since flippin' is a close range technique where you catch and move fish out of heavy cover, there are significant advantages to long, heavy and mod-fast in the rod.

Yup. Flechero makes a good point as to what the characteristics of a flippin' generally are, but of course there are some variations out there as well. Some people like a different action or length but in general the length will be about 7'6"+ and the action mod-fast. It kind of depends on the angler's preference as to how they exactly want the rod to be and its important since you want the rod to be comfortable to fish with as well as right for the application.

my budget isnt really set for having multiple rods for different types of fishing. but the lake i fish most of the time has a lot of weeds, and i fish primarily from the shore, would you reccomend getting a"flipping rod" for every type of fishing, or just strictly for flipping?

more on the flipping side. If you want a good all around, a 7' baitcasting rod with a med or med-heavy power is good. You can throw a lot of stuff with it. You can still flip and pitch with it and whatever line you use; mono, fluoro, braid (might want to use a leader if in clear water) should handle the weeds well. 10-15lb line would be fine. The lakes that i fish have weeds all over the place as well and my spinning rod with 8lb fluoro has no problems with weeds, although super thick weeds i dont try with my spinning gear, i do get fish that will run straight for it and i still can get them out, it just takes more time and you have to be careful. I know how you feel about being on a budget, I've been saving up for a flippin' stick for a while and i've only got 2 other rods. One finesse rod (spinning), all around (baitcasting), and soon-to-be #3: a macho flippin' rod ;D (baitcasting)

I use my flippin' stick for flippin' of course, frogs and swimbaits!