Sign in to follow this  
FishDontLikeMe1301600221

ardent flip n' pitch reel

saw this @ basspro the other day,is this thing any good,it looks cheaply made,i didnt get a chance to hold it cause someone else was looking at it forever,but just wondering if its a good reel/investment for a true flip n pitch set up? also didnt shimano at one time come out with one of these?

A friend of mine fished with one, loaded it with 30# Triple Fish fluorocarbon, and it worked great. The line did dig in a bit, but really, it always does when fihsing like that.

Here it is, saddled to a BPS Extreme Flipping stick.

543369716_wTEhM-XL.jpg

Yep, I used it. Works great, didn't feel cheap at all. Looks like a boob, though, LOL.  

Burnie is really trying to put it through its paces. He bought it because it looked and sounded like a neat concept. Burnie is a three time ABA AOY, been on the state team six times, etc., and he doesn't take equipment for granted. Most of his other reels are Steez. If he says its good, then its good.

My gripe is the preset drag, but then again, it literally is a single purpose reel.

I haven't fished it, but I do have a little input.  I've flipped/pitched it with a casting plug, and the biggest thing you'll notice is that it takes a little adjustment to get used to thumbing the spool intself, instead of the line.  After a while, I actually liked that though.  My only real complaint is that it isn't as free spooling as many other reels.  I found it a little difficult to get a 1/2 oz plug out as far as I'd like to for a long pitch.

I do know 2 guys who have these strictly for fipping, and they do like them though.

I have 2 of the F500 flip & pitch reels and love them!!  I won't go out without them..  They are a high quality reel and come with 3 year warranty..

I have 2 of the F500 flip & pitch reels and love them!! I won't go out without them.. They are a high quality reel and come with 3 year warranty..

Is your signature indicative of some sort of business relationship between yourself and Ardent?

Yes I am on Ardents prostaff but i was throwing my flip & pitch reels before they picked me up on their prostaff.. I've also been building these reels and the XS reels for the last 6 months..  

Yes I am on Ardents prostaff but i was throwing my flip & pitch reels before they picked me up on their prostaff.. I've also been building these reels and the XS reels for the last 6 months..

Not a problem, just prefer full disclosure