Sign in to follow this  
centxfisherman

Cabela's Prodigy BC Reel and XML rod on sale...decent reel/good value??

I just recently purchased the Revo SX paired with a Powell rod and love it but would like to have another BC rod and reel as a spare. I see Cabela's has their XML MH-Xfast 6'6" rod reduced from 139.99 to 39.99 and their Prodigy reel reduced from 99.99 to 74.99. This seems like a good value ($115.00 total) especially for my purposes. Thoughts?

I have the Prodigy BC on a Fish Eagle II and 3 of the XML spinning rods and they are both great values. The Prodigy was my second BC and it's a good reel for the money made by Daiwa at the time I got mine and had it for a couple of years and no problems with it at all.

The XML spinning reels are all very sensitive and I have a rig/jig 6'6" M, a 7ft M and another 6'6" M and they are all very light and very sensitive. The reel seats are solid and at the price that makes them even a better deal with the Cabelas warranty.

I'll be picking up my first 1 pc rod and a 7ft MH BC rod while they are on sale

For 39.00 dollars you can't go wrong. Alconite guides, 25 year warranty on rods. I have a couple of the prodigy baitcasters and really like them. I think they compare nicely with other reels in the 99.00 to 129.00 price range. Again, I bought mine for 59.00 and 64.00 dollars. I believe they represent a tremendous value for the money spent. Lastly, Cabelas stands behind their products.

I've never fished with either but have heard good about both so I wiould think it is a good deal.  Actually thinking about getting an XML spinning rod as a bank rod

Prodigy/XML combo is a good rig for what you'll pay for it right now.  I don't have much time with my XML rod but so far I like it.  The Prodigy baitcast reel is a steal at the sale price....great reel, like mine very much.

So far I'm very impressed with my XMLTi 5'6" MF casting rod. Some of the rods are a bit heavy, but for this price, WOW!

I have a Prodigy Low Profile reel, this is the thrid season for it. So far, I've not had any problems with it. I even brought in a rather large snapper turtle with it. I don't have the Cabela's rod but rather a Fenwick with this reel.

I went ahead and purchased this combination as a result of the positive feedback given.  Thanks to all that took the time to respond.  I was able to fish with this combo for an hour late this afternoon and I'm very happy with my purchase.  To think I only paid $39.00 for a rod I'm this impressed with is just silly.  I'm equally happy with the reel.  It is not going to replace my Revo SX but there certainly is not $95.00 difference in the two reels...IMHO.  This is clearly the best $115.00 I've spent to date on fishing equipment.