Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Spinning reel question

Hello all. I am relatively new/unexperienced when it comes to bass fishing and have done some research but can't seem to find the answers to my questions. Please redirect me if this has been duscussed prior. However, my question has to do with the differences between the higher end shimano and daiwa spinning reels (specifically the sustain fe vs the new feugo a). What are the differences/similarities between the gearing systems and handles (I know the sustain features a direct drive handle) and which would you recomend? which would be a better reel for bass and some heavier fresh water species as well as some light saltwater species. I know this is a great deal to ask of one reel but I simply cannot afford more than one in different sizes. Anyone with any knowledge/experience with these reels? Thank you.

You're entering the price range of diminishing returns with those two reels.  They are very nice, but many of us cannot justify the extra $75 or so over a Stradic or Tierra.  But, I'm very envious if you end up with either one ;)

I believe the Fuego is magnesium and therefore is quite light.  Although Daiwa may claim it is coated for use in salt water, magnesium and salt water are not a good combination.  I personally like the wider spool design of the Daiwa spinning reels, but that's just me.

Have Fun

Leon

The only significant difference, mechanically, is that the Sustain uses a worm and pawl to drive the oscillation, whereas the Fuego uses a typical offset cam on the idler gear.  The new Fuego is NOT made of Mg, its a "super carbon" material, and saltwater safe.

Either would serve you for a lifetime of fishing if well maintained.  My personal choice, and I own ALL Daiwa, would be the Sustain.  Why?  I just like the darn thing, especially the way its put together, after having seen both reels apart.

Thanks for your input guys. It is greatly appreciated.