Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Picked up a Vintage Shimano reel Can some school me on it?

Its a Shimano Bantam Magnumlite 2001SG Plus left handed reel. Anyone know about these reels,the features,it has a few switches I am not familiar with. It also has a little door on top that opens,whats that for? Reel seems to function properly,is smooth and doesnt make any noises, what it might be worth?

IIRC, one of the switches engages the fighting drag and the other is a free spool switch.  The flip up door was supposed to allow you to feed line through the line guide easier.

Even in great physical condition, which that one doesn't look like it is, they'll draw about $25-35 on Ebay.  

I have the exact same reel.  My dad got it for me as my first casting reel.  Mine still is in good shape and I take it out once in a while for old times sake.  Let me tell ya, you don't want to accidentally flip that switch and then try to set a hook.........because its just like the AR switch on a spinning reel.  The handle goes backwards and a massive nest results!  Mine is actually pretty smooth and casts light baits better than any of my other reels did at that time.

Matt

Have two of them, one for parts, one in OK shape. Heavy reels for sure. The slider switch is for back reeling, as stated don't throw that switch when fighting a fish.

The fighting drag was a real joke IMO, the reels were discontinued in the middle 90's, and, the price stated on ebay is just that, a reel for parts...

Graphite V-spool, drag system not to bad, anti-reverse dog the weakest link. A bushing reel.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines!!!