Sign in to follow this  
Bayou Bass

Want to try fluorocarbon

Right now I use braid on 3 of my reels and mono on one.  I have got the itch these days to run fluorocarbon on one of my reels, but I am not sure which one.  Here are is a list of my rigs, what do you think?

6'9" Carrot Stix MH F Curado 200E7-->Texas Rig-->30lb Power Pro.  I am leaning toward this one.

7' Powell MH XF Citica 200E-->Light Jigs and Senkos-->30lb Power Pro

7' Rodsmiths H F Citica 200E-->Frogs and Heavy Jigs-->30lb Power Pro

6'8" Powell M Mod Citica 200E-->Cranks-->14lb Big Game

I am slightly concerned about losing some sensitivity with my texas rig rod, but I am not sure if this will happen or not.  What do you think?  Thanks for the help.

There is no real difference in sensitivity between braid and fluoro to me! I think you will have the same amount of sensitivity with that set-up. Why the itch though, braid is awesome?

I would use flouro on every rig listed.

In the order you listed:

15 lb. Trilene or Stren 100%

12 lb. Trilene or Stren 100%

17 lb. Trilene or Stren 100%

10 lb. Trilene or Stren 100%

I thought Flouro sinks and should not be used on topwater (Frogs).  I would use heavier braid for frogs, but I bought the line in bulk.

i think fishing over 30lb braid in freshwater is a bit silly. i mean, i know alot of "pros" do it...but i just dont see the advantage. whens the last time you broke 30lb power pro? never? you almost cant break it if you try.you can anchor your boat with it. unless your fishing a fast moving 2oz swimbait in a stumpfield covered in pads and a 18+ bass smacks it full speed going the other direction.....youre never going to break that 30lb braid. unless you dont take care of it...... ;)

Braid isn't the end-all, be-all superline that many think it is.  It has a specific application in which it shines.

I'd love to see someone try to anchor a boat with 30 lb. braid.  

With Yo-Zuri Hybrid becoming very scarce at our local BPS and Cabelas I set out to find another line and I decided to try Fluorocarbon as well. I went with BPS Fluorocarbon. I am using 14lbs on my jig setup(BC) and 10lbs on my plastics setup(Spinning).  My other setups are still currently Yo-Zuri Hybrid, at least for now.

Braid is very nice though. Pulled a log out of the lake with 50lbs Power Pro. Can't imagine any place I fish though where braid is necessary.

Later, ;)

With Yo-Zuri Hybrid becoming very scarce at our local BPS and Cabelas I set out to find another line and I decided to try Fluorocarbon as well. I went with BPS Fluorocarbon. I am using 14lbs on my jig setup(BC) and 10lbs on my plastics setup(Spinning). My other setups are still currently Yo-Zuri Hybrid, at least for now.

Braid is very nice though. Pulled a log out of the lake with 50lbs Power Pro. Can't imagine any place I fish though where braid is necessary.

Later, ;)

I can think of about 100 places here in FL where braid is necessary actually! Try having a huge bass wrap you in pads so thick you can't see water under them and pulling it out with mono or fluoro! BTW, that BPS is sweet man! I use it on almost all my rigs except the flippin stick!

Yeah we don't have any place around here that I fish that has thick nasty lilly pads or any other thick nasty stuff.

Later, ;)

I have tried the Red Label and thought it was pretty good stuff as well.  Just every time I go into my local BPS they are out of it.

Later, ;)

ive got the seagar carbon pro and i cant keep it on my reel. tried to use real magic but its not helping.i also got spiderwire flouro havent put it to the test to know if is good or not. but next time i think im going with xps myself got their braid and love it but thats for my big poles.