Sign in to follow this  
zaraspook_dylan2

is this to much?

I bought a new reel (level wind) and it had 50 pound braid on it, I was thinking i'll just use it when im pitching jigs into heavy cover, but is 50 pound to much? also was thinking about using it with a spinner bait but i'll probably just stick to my normal 17 pound mono line.

thanks

No, it is not too much.

Nope, it ain 't "too much".

People get this idea that braid is undestructible, which is far from the truth, 17-20 lbs test nylon for flippin ' ? oh yeah, 30 lb test braid for flippin '? uhhhhhh, I don 't think so.

Why ? cuz 30 lb braid has a lot less diameter than 17 lb pound mono and aside from the tensile strength what helps lower test mono to stand against the rigors of flipping is it 's the thick diameter, lower the diameter of your braided line and branches won 't care how much tensilie resistance it has, they will use it as dental floss and chew it away. Thicker line ---> they 'll have to chew through more materail.

Nope, it ain 't "too much".

People get this idea that braid is undestructible, which is far from the truth, 17-20 lbs test nylon for flippin ' ? oh yeah, 30 lb test braid for flippin '? uhhhhhh, I don 't think so.

Why ? cuz 30 lb braid has a lot less diameter than 17 lb pound mono and aside from the tensile strength what helps lower test mono to stand against the rigors of flipping is it 's the thick diameter, lower the diameter of your braided line and branches won 't care how much tensilie resistance it has, they will use it as dental floss and chew it away. Thicker line ---> they 'll have to chew through more materail.

Ok thanks a lot, that makes sense.