Sign in to follow this  
uicdent11

St Croix Avid CB rods vs. G Loomis

For those that have used both,  how would you compare them? I am interested in the M and MH models. I've heard the CBR 783 is too whippy for some? Just wondering how the AVC66MM would compare. Looking for similar information between the CBR 845 and AVC70MHM. Which one would be better suited for throwing an occasional DD22? Thanks for your insight.

I have the avid 7ftmm, the avid 7mhm and the loomis 845 cbr. I like the loomis the best, but the handle is a bit too short for my liking, so I put a bass pro rod balancer to give it a bit of extra length. Out of the rods you mentioned, the loomis 845cbr, to me handles the widest range of cranks the best, especially on the heavier side like a D22. But ...all are very good rods and it depends on what feels best to you. For me I like the loomis 845 for 1/2oz cranks, ie DT10's or Lucky Craft 2.5"s.... For D22"s and DT 16's or 20's I prefer a longer handle and beefier rod like Dobyns 805cb. If you do choose a St. Croix ,I would definitely get the MH moderate if you plan on throwing larger cranks like D22. I also think the 845cb feels just right for most cranks 1/4-5/8oz and the loomis 843 felt a bit underpowed to me. Some guys like slower rods like glass Skeet Reese cranking rod by Lamiglass which gets great reviews. I like graphite and the 845 has enough give but really good backbone that I prefer. All good rods.

How short of a handle are we talking? I have seen this mentioned before somewhere. Are you able to two-hand cast with the 783 and 845? I wouldn't consider myself to have small hands, so I want to make sure I have enough room to cast. How do the actions between the St Croix and Loomis compare? Either of them more moderate than the other? Specifically compare the 7 MHM to the 845 since you seem to have both.

What size cranks do you throw on the 70mm? I was thinking about the 66 model, but may consider a 7fter in either brand.

Thanks for your help. I do not have a dealer around here that I can compare them side by side and thus will use this thread and other research in making my decision. Much appreciated.

I had a CBR843 and 845, and traded my 843 for another 845.  The 3 power CBR's are noodles.  The 845 is the most versatile cranker I have owned.  

I have never tried the Avid CB rod, so I can't comment there.  I do have the G Loomis CBR855 GLX (which is similar in power and action to the CBR845) and it is a great CB rod.  Though, I found this rod to comfortably max out at a DT10.  Anything deeper gets a little taxing on the equipment (and user).  I recently started using a G Loomis SWBR953 for anything 10+ crankbait and am very pleased with it for those deeper lures.

the handle on the 845 is right at 8 1/8 inches...that includes the butt cap.

some prefer a longer handle but, after fishing the cbr, i wouldn't go back to a longer handle...it just feels right to me anymore...i have big hands and have no problem two-fisting it.

the cbr 5 and the avid mhm have similar actions, the avid might be a tad faster.

my preference is the cbr because of the handle and the slightly slower action but both are excellent cranking rods.

p.s....the cbr 3 and the avid mm are too wimpy for me, as well.

Would the845 be able to load up with 1/4 oz. traps, model A's, and other 1-6' cranks in that size? It would be great to consolidate my cranking to one rod, but I throw a lot of light stuff and I want to make sure it will be able to them. Would a Sol match well with the 845 or should I look for something with a little more power? Thanks for this helpful info guys.

Would the845 be able to load up with 1/4 oz. traps, model A's, and other 1-6' cranks in that size? It would be great to consolidate my cranking to one rod, but I throw a lot of light stuff and I want to make sure it will be able to them. Would a Sol match well with the 845 or should I look for something with a little more power? Thanks for this helpful info guys.

I use my CBR855 mostly for lipless crankbaits (though, I have started to to throw a little more crankbaits with it now) and I have it matched with a SOL.  It is a perfect match and you can really throw light lures with this thing.

the cbr works fine with 1/4 oz.

can't speak to the sol...have a steez on mine.

i love the CBR845. reading the specs and the product description, you'd think it was best for only the heavier lures but that's not the case at all. an extremely versatile and as sweet a rod as there ever was.

some of my full-handled rods [L to R]: lamiglas XC724, g.loomis MRB783, g.loomis CBR845, g.loomis SBR813:

dsc8638v.jpg

as you can see, the CBR845's handle isn't that short. about 1/2 shorter than the SBR813 but about 1/2 longer than the MBR783. i have biggish hands and i can two-hand cast with it just fine...i love it just the way it is.

by the way, i think the sol would be a smokin' match for the CBR845 weight and power-wise ;) even the color would match the gold thread highlights of the CBR.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to look for a CBR845 unless I can find a great deal on an avid. I have the MBR783 and I think the handle is fine so it should work out for me. Thanks a lot for the help. I feel a lot better about my decision now.

I have an avid 7' MHM crankbait rod, it is a great rod sensitive light the one draw back is the stupid powerhump on the handle. after 3 hours of fishing my hands start to cramp up. maybe I have small wimpy hands but some of my other thinner handled rods don't give me this trouble. I used to work at gander mountain so I have experience with the loomis rods and I like the diameter of the handle but i do wish it was a bit longer, you can definitly two hand cast it. I just like the leverage you get with a longer handle.