Sign in to follow this  
Koop

At what point

At what point or depth does the action of a rod really start to become an issue with treble hooks?  I have had no problems with a F / EF action on a rod with treble hooks in the 6-10ft range.  I'm guessing you want M action in the 15-20+ foot range?  Is that an accurate statement?  What depth have you all found the action to start ripping the trebles out?

I am not sure I understand your question, completely, but if I do, I don't think that the depth of the crankbait should make a difference in your "hook set" which then should suggest that neither should the rod's action if you are already accustomed to the action of your rod.

It would imply that you have a different hook set for that was dependent on your depth.  In other words, why would you set the hook differently if the bait was at 6-10' vs. being 20' plus?  Either scenario, the use of sharp hooks and reeling up the slack to add tension to the line plus making the fish impale themselves should make the depth of the lure and fish a irrelevant or a non-issue. Well, for me, at least.

When I have a strike with a crankbait, I ensure I have sharp hooks and let them do the work.  Basically, I don't do much more that making the line taut by reeling up the slack and pulling/sweeping back just a little, somewhat like a drop shot hook set.

I don't use any hookset.  I use moderate action graphite rods for cranking.  When the fish hits it, I just keep reeling with even pressure.  You're really just leading them in, rather than fighting them.

I don't use any hookset. I use moderate action graphite rods for cranking. When the fish hits it, I just keep reeling with even pressure. You're really just leading them in, rather than fighting them.

Pretty much what i do! I like a crank rod with a lot of backbone and a soft tip. The tip is mainly for when the fish jumps it won't shake the hooks!