Sign in to follow this  
The Yankee Fist

A nice warm fish story for all of you.

You CANNOT make this stuff up ;D

Sunday afternoon the phone rings, it's a bud, "I'm off Monday, pick you up at 5:00 am". Okay, I'm GAME!

This year I decided after saving the scratch, I would buy premium rods and reels since most of my stuff was roughly at least 15 years

old. I have always loved Loomis stuff and decided to get Loomis rods.

As many of you may remember the first Loomis I bought is the Bronzeback model GLX. Wonderful rod for just about anything.

Friday i picked up my 2nd Loomis....SR781-1 IMX UL. Lovely rod, hate the handle but the action is to die for if you enjoy UL fishing.

Moving forward to Monday:

Got into a nice largemouth spot at a secluded pond and was having fun on soft jerkbaits with the GLX. I hauled in 3 smaller fish...2lbs and under when I hooked a good 18" ,maybe 3lbs or so. This guy had some stamina but no sweat for the GLX at all...I get him to near the shore and the fish dives hard left and snaps the tip of my GLX right off about 2" below the tip itself...got the fish, took the pic, slipped and lost my IPhone in the water...so no pics. :)

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! ;D

Slightly bent out of shape now that my beloved GLX is poop for the remainder of the trip, we press on with me using the 781-1 and my old trusty Micro Lite from when dirt was young ;D

The end of the trip finds us out at the Housatonic river and I hook into a good sized smallie on the UL rod. I rear back a little on the rod to just keep the fish away from the rocks and the falls and I hear a "tink". I look up and the guide thread is unwinding at the 2nd guide and the tip is fast headed down the line into the river chasing the now broken off fish.

Well, that's where it ended, thankfully. ;D ;D ;D

Called Loomis today, the UL will be free and I opted to expedite the GLX. I think I would have felt better if I just smashed them in the door. :)

S0....

Iphone 3g $300.00

GLX          $395.00

imx           $225.00

tackle       $100.00

one quarter for each swear word: $56,000,000,000.25

Value of this experience: priceless ;D ;D ;D

Get this, these were the first two rods I have EVER broken.

Thank God for warranty.

You should have had insurance on the phone ! ::)

To be honest, I'm glad it's dead, I hate those phones. ;D

99.00 and Ill get another...I saved my old cell and popped the SIM in and it works fine.

Im my goodness what a ruff day.  I have had bad days but never anything like that.  You are right, that story is Priceless. :)

MAN, if i were you i would stay home for a few days just in case!!!!!

Im my goodness what a ruff day.  I have had bad days but never anything like that.  You are right, that story is Priceless. :)

Crazy day for sure. I just can't get over it. What makes it really funny is after all this hoopla of getting these rods I was back to catching fish on the old one like always. Ironic in a twisted way ;D

I do believe the hype of the premium rods, they are worth the dough after the experience I've had with them. Well worth it.

Well, maybe you've got all of that out of you for the year.

I hope so, the GLX warranty replacement arrived today..which surprised me because my order was not slated for shipment until I think next week....they confused the IMX with the GLX and some wonderful human made sure they shipped mine out this week.

I am now going to freeze it in Carbonite, don't try to stop me. ;D ;D ;D ;D