Sign in to follow this  
ottawa

G Loomis Mossyback M 7'1 worm rod BCR852

I just picked up this worm rod and pairing it with a Shimano Castaic. Wonder if the rod has enough backbone to pull a fish out of the weeds. Planning to pitch texas rig and non weighted senkos as well as 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs into holes in cover. The base of the rod seems solid but with an extra fast tip I wonder if I am setting myself up for lost fish. Any thoughts?

Should I just return the rod tomorrow. Had 20% off sale so thought I had a good deal. Maybe I would be just as well off with a techna Fenwick rod or maybe even a Shimano Crucial MH outfit?

I have a Mossy in Heavy action and i would not use it for pulling them out of the cover. With that said the ratings on yours sound like a good weightless worm rod or drop shot maybe. You want a heavy power rod for fishing cover and jigs.

I have this same rod, I have use it for that, frogs, top water, sencos. any number for things.... plenty of back bone.

I have the BCR 853 GLX 7'1 and is an awesome rod. I use 1/4-1/2 ounce jigs and worms. I fish it in grass but it's not a flippin stick. It's a worm rod.

I say this. Push the rod to it's limits and beyond. Fish it like you'd drive a Ferrari, hard. Don't baby it. If it breaks, for ANY reason, then send it back.

Thanks for the info. I am relatively new to bass fishing as I moved from walleye water to the rideau river which is shallow and weedy (bass, musky) Therefore I am starting out by fishing frogs and getting accustomed to setting the hook hard. You know that with walleye the hookset is much lighter. Fishing weedless and in slop and lilypads is a bit of an adjustment. So right now I have a carrotstick with a citica and the Loomis with a castaic. You read everywhere that the rod needs at least MH or even H to get that fish out of cover. When I saw that the Mossyback was a M I thought I may have bought the wrong rod for my river. Glad to see that you are having success with that rod.

I truly like the feel of the rod but as a walleye fisherman I am used to fast tipped rods and need to adjust to those stiffer poles that are needed for those largemouth bass. Never thought I would enjoy fishing for largemouth but I am having a blast! I thought walleye fishing required some sensitive and alert hooksets. Fishing shallow and in cover requires technique. I would think that equipment makes a big difference.

I have this rod and have been very pleased with it, I have it paired with Shimano 101D reel, 8 lb. Floro and I use this a finnesse rod. I primarily use it for small jigs with a light weedguard, an example would be a Baby Boo jig.This combo has put a lot of fish in the boat.