Sign in to follow this  
Dwight

which Daiwa spinning reel...

I have the TD Advantage 3000 spinning reel and want to get a lighter weight reel.  

Should I get the 2500 or the 2000.  I understand the 3000 and 2500 are identical except the spool...is this correct?

Any thoughts?

welps if your sticking to daiwa go for the sol or fuego,i love my sol, the tierra is also lighter then the TDA you have.some other options would be if your interested is the new shimano stradic thats made out of carbon,sweet lookn reel.and i also have a pflueger magnesium supreme xt thats pretty light http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0053583122676a&navCount=1&podId=0053583&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20333&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true

2000 size Sol is what I use and highly recommend. I can't believe how much lighter it is than the 2500. I may be looking to trade my 2500 for another 2000 in the near future.

your on the right track by sticking with Daiwa, while I wont trash Shimano or Pflueger, both make great reels and I have and still do use them.

The 2500 Tierra is absolutly insane for the price and incredibly smooth and light wieght, at 9.6oz.  Its tough as nails.

The 2500 Fuego mimics the Tierra in performance, the body is a little smaller and lighter comming in at 8.6oz. My first impression of the Fuego wasnt a good one, but that was purely on reel size and not performance. I expected it to be the same size as my Tierra 2500. But the more I fish it the more I love it.

I'd go with a 2500 and not a 2000, I think the 2000 may be a little to small.

I do own both of the reels mentioned above and very happy.

with some of the daiwas, this is true, with others it is not...it really depends on the particular model. you can usually tell by looking at the specs; if they're close in weight and have the same drag rating, they're likely on the same body but use different spools.

thoughts:

you should definitely get a 2000-size reel if you already have a 3000-size. you'll appreciate the difference in size and weight.

if possible, choose a daiwa model with the air bail. love that feature. i notice better line management (less twist) with the air bail as well as smoother operation.

remember that the different reel sizes have different line recovery rates. for example, on a daiwa tierra, the inches

of line retrieved per turn of the handle are:

2000-size: 24 inches

2500-size: 28 inches

3000-size: 31 inches

some uses benefit from a slower rate (moving baits like crankbaits, swimming jigs), some from a faster (topwater, contact baits like texas- and carolina rigs, etc.). remember also that the drag ratings are lower with the smaller reels.

finally, you may want to consider the cabela's prodigy. it is basically a daiwa tierra but without the sealed drag. plus, they're on sale right now for only $60.

The 2500 Tierra is absolutly insane for the price and incredibly smooth and light wieght, at 9.6oz. Its tough as nails.

The 2500 Fuego mimics the Tierra in performance, the body is a little smaller and lighter comming in at 8.6oz.

The new stradic 2500 is much lighter than those- 7 oz.

The 2500 Tierra is absolutly insane for the price and incredibly smooth and light wieght, at 9.6oz. Its tough as nails.

The 2500 Fuego mimics the Tierra in performance, the body is a little smaller and lighter comming in at 8.6oz.

and my pflueger supreme xt 2500 is much lighter then that @ 6.5 oz. so nahnahnah haha. :)

lucky for him he asked about Daiwa's,   like fore mentioned I own and still fish with both the Shimano & Pflueger, but I'll take my Daiwa's in spinning over both of those.   jus my 2cents  :)

and my pflueger supreme xt 2500 is much lighter then that @ 6.5 oz. so nahnahnah haha. :)

sorry, but you're not comparing comparable reels. the "25"-size pflueger is closer (but still smaller than) the 1000-size stradic, which in CI4-form is only 6.2 ounces.

and my pflueger supreme xt 2500 is much lighter then that @ 6.5 oz. so nahnahnah haha. :P

I tried looking it up but can't find that model, all I found was the 9025 which is an UL (120 yards / 4 Lb.) So if that's it, it compares to the stradic 1000 which is only 6.2 oz. :P (and if that's not it, let me know where I can find the other... )   :)

sorry, but you're not comparing comparable reels. the "25"-size pflueger is closer (but still smaller than) the 1000-size stradic, which in CI4-form is only 6.2 ounces.

apples to oranges who cares...really..the dude wants a daiwa cant go wrong there id got for the sol or tierra.and he doesnt want a 1000 size reel either and 6.2 ounces .3 ounces you arnt gonna feel or tell a difference,i was just messin when i was compairing the 7oz to 6.5 oz

that pflueger is right here http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0053583122676a&navCount=15&podId=0053583&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20333&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true  the spool on that reel is a tad small but its not an ul reel its a standard size reel way to big to go be ul i think pflu. just saved that .5oz by putting the smaller spools on them dunno  :-?

i was just messin when i was compairing the 7oz to 6.5 oz

I know, it's all in fun.  

I didn't want to imply that a Daiwa wasn't a nice reel... my favorite spinning reel is a TD Fuego   :)  But I'll be getting a new stradic to keep it company.