Sign in to follow this  
AndyPlaysDrums

Cabela's Prestige Spinning reel

I just ordered a Prestige spinning reel from Cabela's. I was just curious if anybody knew which company made this reel for Cabela's. Thanks!

First off there is no such company as  Shakespeare/Pflueger

These brands are now owned by a company known as PURE FISHING USA:

These are the Brands they now own:

Penn®

Abu Garcia®

Berkley®

Shakespeare®

All Star Rods®

Fenwick®

Johnson®

Mitchell®

Pflueger®

Spiderwire®

Stren®

XTools®

My spinning reel of choice is the Pflueger President, BIG very BIG Difference between these 2 reels. They were similar in price now Cabelas is dumping them at 30 bucks

I wish you asked this , before you ordered. I have used a lot of the reels in the Cabelas line up, this was my most disappointing experience with their products

The reel does not hold up, me and 4 buddies tried them, they all fizzled in the first or 2nd year,cheap gearing seems to be the main issue

Muddy, I worded it that way because the factory that makes that is still refered to as a Shakespeare factory. If I had said Pure Fishing that wouldn't really narrow it down. Besides, Pure Fishing is actually only one division of the actual parent company which is Jarden Corp. Jarden owns the following campanies and their subsidiaries: Ball®, Bee®, Bicycle®, Crawford®, Diamond®, Dicon®, First Alert®, Forster®, Hoyle®, Java Log®, Kerr®, Lehigh®, Leslie-Locke®, Loew-Cornell® and Pine Mountain®; Consumer Solutions: Bionaire®, Crock-Pot®, FoodSaver®, Harmony®, Health o meter®, Holmes®, Mr. Coffee®, Oster®, Patton®, Rival®, Seal-a-Meal®, Sunbeam®, VillaWare® and White Mountain; and Outdoor Solutions: Abu Garcia®, Berkley®, Campingaz®, Coleman®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, JT®, K2®, Marker®, Marmot®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Rawlings®, Shakespeare®, Sevylor®, Stearns®, Stren®, Trilene® and Volkl®.

But there again... if I had said Jarden corp. makes it (which is actually the correct answer) that wouldn't have meant much to anybody.

I forgot about Jarden, correct >

I really don't get into discussions about who makes a reel, who the $%@^@ Cares anyway. It is about performance, In my search for gear that did not cost a lot but was of a decent quality I found a lot of reels in both the Cabelas and BPS Lines

Both of these Brands had dogs for spinning reels

Particularly the BPS Extreme, the gold one, what a piece of crap, followed closely by the Cabelas Prestiege, both reels stink.

I forgot about Jarden, correct >It means a lot to me, to get my information correct.

I really don't get into discussions about who makes a reel, who the $%@^@ Cares anyway. It is about performance, In my search for gear that did not cost a lot but was of a decent quality I found a lot of reels in both the Cabelas and BPS Lines

Both of these Brands had dogs for spinning reels

Particularly the BPS Extreme, the gold one, what a piece of crap, followed closely by the Cabelas Prestiege, both reels stink.

Thanks guys. I was only interested so that maybe if I knew if there was a "sister" model by a "name" brand, I could pick up a spare spool. I'm on a budget, but I'd like something a little better for at least the rest of this season. The Prestige for $25 bucks (instead of $50) is going to be far better than the $10 Ready2Fish reel that I have now. This isn't going to be the last spinning reel I own.

Absolutely! Save your dough over the winter, after your first step up, do some reading and feel some reels at the local tackle store. We all go through it, but after a while the bulb goes off, to get the reel you really wanted in the first place, and not 2 other cheaper reeels befroe it.

This is not to say that  you need to spend over 60 to 80 bucks fro a decent spinning reel.

Oh, don't worry, I'm accumulating a master list of my "go-to" spinning reel right now! What do you like?

By the way, I'm pairing this with an almost new Cabela's Tourney Trail rod that I picked up for ten bucks from a co-worker. So for thirty five bucks, I've leaped far ahead of what I started with this season, which is my first serious season of bass fishing.