Sign in to follow this  
vatech

issue with line

I've been using 10# p-line floroclear and recently when fishing light baits that don't sink rapidly or a frog for instance that sits on top, I'm having an issue with the line sitting on top of the water and, in a way, partially predetermining the path of my retrieve.

It's especially annoying if it's windy. I will see exactly the spot I would like to run my lure over, cast past it and the wind will horseshoe my line around my target spot and alter my line of retrieve just enough to miss my target. I hope I'm describing the problem clear enough - the lure is landing where I want it to land but gets pulled along the path of the fallen line instead of straight back to me.

I haven't fished enough different types of line and brands to know if it's just a quality of this brand or type of line. I'm thinking it could also just be an issue that everyone deals with and maybe I need to factor in before making a cast. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

I wouldn't use a sinking line like Fluoroclear to fish topwater.  It may appear to sit at the surface, but its just below, making mending (straightening) the line difficult.  Try heavy mono, or braid.

I've been using 10# p-line floroclear and recently when fishing light baits that don't sink rapidly or a frog for instance that sits on top, I'm having an issue with the line sitting on top of the water and, in a way, partially predetermining the path of my retrieve.

It's especially annoying if it's windy. I will see exactly the spot I would like to run my lure over, cast past it and the wind will horseshoe my line around my target spot and alter my line of retrieve just enough to miss my target. I hope I'm describing the problem clear enough - the lure is landing where I want it to land but gets pulled along the path of the fallen line instead of straight back to me.

I haven't fished enough different types of line and brands to know if it's just a quality of this brand or type of line. I'm thinking it could also just be an issue that everyone deals with and maybe I need to factor in before making a cast. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

For top water i use 20# mono... because the bait is on top of the water and fish strike top water baits in a reaction type manner line diameter is not an issue. How ever you get the same horseshoe effect with any line you use.. Boat position is the key here you need to cast into the wind with you boat position in the right manner.. if your fishing from the bank there is not much you can do.. the bait will follow the line path...