Sign in to follow this  
tentimesover

Do Bass Care About the Visibility of Braid?

So I've put braid on both my spinning rod (used for working worms and creatures) and one of my two casting outfits and I'm going to have a go at them for a week to compare with my experience with fluorocarbon.  I seem to see mixed reviews with some using a fluorocarbon leader and others not bothering with the leader.  Do bass care what is attached to the lure?  Do those that use a leader do so because of the visibility of the braid?  If not visibility, then why use the leader?

Thanks in advance.

Visibility of braid depends on the water you fish and the structure or cover. I do not use a flouro leader but that's because if I am using braid it is mostly in thick grass or near heavier cover.

Some use the leader for abrasion resistance in rock or wood. Others for the extra shock absorption it provides(braid has no stretch). I do not believe it makes a difference in visibility so i use straight braid all the time! I have noticed NO decrease in the amount of bites i get!

I don't think bass mind the color of braid any more then they mind those treble kooks dangling from some of those funky color lures.

There are a couple of variables.  In  subtle presentations such as clear water and highly pressured areas; I would lean toward yes.  I say 'sublte' presentations because a reactionary bait that is hauling asss is less likely to be affected by braids visibility.  Even in clear water, if you punch through a mat with a 1.5oz sinker....I don't think it matters what your bait is tied to.  Drop-shotting in gin clear water however, I think you would have a noticeable impact on your bites.  My opinion only....

In my experience no. I use fifty to sixty five lb braid everyday, I also use clear high test fluorocarbon. My catch rate has gone up since I switched to braid, and fluorocarbon.  

as a weekend warrior and not a tourney fishermen I use braid on every set-up I have, 15/20 on spin, 50 on bc.  I've had the opportunity to fish all types of RI waters to crystal clear lakes and reservoirs, to the murkiest, nastiest stuff you seen, and my success rates are very very similar...just MO.

What brand of braid and pound test? Braid is so much thinner so do you use the difference to keep it thiner and less noticable or go with the heavier and get extra strength? I mainly fish jigs in trees, stumps and rocks with 12 pound P-line. The water I mostly fish is ALWAYS dark green and after a lot of rain brownish green.

What brand of braid and pound test? Braid is so much thinner so do you use the difference to keep it thiner and less noticable or go with the heavier and get extra strength? I mainly fish jigs in trees, stumps and rocks with 12 pound P-line. The water I mostly fish is ALWAYS dark green and after a lot of rain brownish green.

50 and 65 lb spectra.

I like Berkley Power Pro.

Berkley makes Fireline, and Fireline Braid.

Power Pro is it's own brand name owned by Shimano.

Anyhow, I use 20/6 Suffix, and I seem to catch a lot of fish on it in all types of water conditions. However, I do agree that for finesse fishing in gin clear water, a line that's nearly invisible would probably be beneficial.