Sign in to follow this  
NallyFisher

Got A New Rod!!

Well i wanted to buy a nice new rod to get started fishing. So I went to Dicks and bought an Abu Garcia. It's 6"6" Med Duty. So far I love the rod. I have used it once and causght 14 fish at Liberty Reservoir in 1 morning. Nothing huge but it was still fun to reel in some fish with a new rod. Im looking forward to bringing in some bigger fish soon

Yep, it's fun to get new gear, especially the direct stuff like rods and reels.  Is it just me but I don't like to hear someone who got a new "fishing pole".  I mean, come on, it's not a cane stick with a bobber.

I keep looking for the perfect rod and look at the G Loomis rods.  I have a St. Croix Avid and love it.  It is so sensitive I can feel just about anyting that touches the bait.  I just can't afford to spend $350 on a rod.

I was in Bass Pro a month or so ago when a guy asked for a Shimano Callis DC at $650 walked away for three minutes and came back with a rod that cost $250.  The guy at BPS asked if he wanted them to spool some line on the reel.  He told them, "Yeah, whatever you got, maybe 12 or 14 pound."  He spends $990 bucks with tax and is thoughtless about what line.  Geez.  I'd have spent a half hour looking at line alone.

Well, each to their own I suppose.

Yep, it's fun to get new gear, especially the direct stuff like rods and reels. Is it just me but I don't like to hear someone who got a new "fishing pole". I mean, come on, it's not a cane stick with a bobber.

I keep looking for the perfect rod and look at the G Loomis rods. I have a St. Croix Avid and love it. It is so sensitive I can feel just about anyting that touches the bait. I just can't afford to spend $350 on a rod.

I was in Bass Pro a month or so ago when a guy asked for a Shimano Callis DC at $650 walked away for three minutes and came back with a rod that cost $250. The guy at BPS asked if he wanted them to spool some line on the reel. He told them, "Yeah, whatever you got, maybe 12 or 14 pound." He spends $990 bucks with tax and is thoughtless about what line. Geez. I'd have spent a half hour looking at line alone.

Well, each to their own I suppose.

Maybe it wasnt the guys first high end combo.  

After the thrill of the first or second all the excitement is over and you're just adding another setup.  What excites me more is getting high end gear at great prices.  Like a Steez or GLX for less than $250.

After the thrill of the first or second all the excitement is over and you're just adding another setup. What excites me more is getting high end gear at great prices. Like a Steez or GLX for less than $250.

Here we go again!

That couldn't be farther from the truth for me! I have over 14 combos and i get excited the same way each time i add another. Just ordered a new one yesterday and i can't wait to get it!!!

Well i wanted to buy a nice new rod to get started fishing. So I went to Dicks and bought an Abu Garcia. It's 6"6" Med Duty. So far I love the rod. I have used it once and causght 14 fish at Liberty Reservoir in 1 morning. Nothing huge but it was still fun to reel in some fish with a new rod. Im looking forward to bringing in some bigger fish soon

Nally - congrats on the new gear; the bait monkey strikes again.  Gear and upgrading gear make the non-fishing hours almost as enjoyable.  Over time you'll learn the subtle differences between your gear and will be able to pick nits with the best of them on this board!

Gear and upgrading gear make the non-fishing hours almost as enjoyable. !

I agree. For me, part of the fishing hobby is fishing and another part is collecting.

Same for me... its almost like a science or a puzzle.  Matching the best reel for the job to the best rod for the job in your arsenal... spooling the line, and selecting a lure.  All are important parts of the whole.  For me I like to try to make the set up perfect to my likings for the task I designate it.  All part of the fun!

After the thrill of the first or second all the excitement is over and you're just adding another setup. What excites me more is getting high end gear at great prices. Like a Steez or GLX for less than $250.

Here we go again!

That couldn't be farther from the truth for me! I have over 14 combos and i get excited the same way each time i add another. Just ordered a new one yesterday and i can't wait to get it!!!

Dink, I was referring to SammyLee's note about the financial aspect and the fact that the buyer spent over $900 bucks and it wasnt a big deal to the buyer and they didnt evern care about what line to use.  There are plenty of people that price doesnt matter and they dont want to actually learn how to be better fishermen.  

However, I do agree with SammyLee and take the time to at least pick a good line as well as listen to experienced fishermen.

Cool congrats on the new rod! What abu rod was it? They've only got two that I know of.

I just got my first "high end" rod not to long ago, Cabelas XML (made by daiwa) super sensitive light and well balanced, it was also my first split grip rod.. I freaking love them!  ;)

Gonna get my first high end reel here pretty soon, either an Abu STX, or daiwa HSTA.... I think the HSTA!  :o

Cool congrats on the new rod! What abu rod was it? They've only got two that I know of.

I just got my first "high end" rod not to long ago, Cabelas XML (made by daiwa) super sensitive light and well balanced, it was also my first split grip rod.. I freaking love them! ;)

Gonna get my first high end reel here pretty soon, either an Abu STX, or daiwa HSTA.... I think the HSTA! :o

Nice rod but not really a high end rod more like a middle of the pack rod.

I just got my first "high end" rod not to long ago, Cabelas XML (made by daiwa) super sensitive light and well balanced, it was also my first split grip rod.. I freaking love them! ;)

Gonna get my first high end reel here pretty soon, either an Abu STX, or daiwa HSTA.... I think the HSTA! :)

Hey it's a high end rod to me!  :o ;D

Gonna get my first high end reel here pretty soon, either an Abu STX, or daiwa HSTA.... I think the HSTA! :)

Hey it's a high end rod to me! :o ;D

It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.