Sign in to follow this  
Lard_Bass

St. Croix Legend Tournament

Recently, one of my Avids (AS66MF) broke and St. Croix is going to replace (very nice and now I see the value of a lifetime warranty). However, I have the chance to upgrade the rod. The rep is suggesting I go to the Legend Tournament rod (LTBS70MF) called the Tube. Anyone have experience with this rod. I was using my Avid for Cranks, Treble Hooks, and Spinner Baits. I was hoping for a 6'6" instead of a 7'0" rod but there are limited spinning choices in the Legend Tournament line.

I've played with the LTB "Tube" and its a nice rod. It would work fine for those applications. To me, the difference between a 6-6 spinning rod and a 7-0 is more than it is in a casting rod, so it might take some getting used to. The LTB is a little faster than the Avid Fast, and honestly, if you like the Avid, stick with it.  If you could get to a store that carries them, it would be best for you to compare them in hand, with a reel and line on them.

If it were for plastics where sensitivity is a premium, I would say go for it.  Since it's for cranks and such I would say it's not needed and you may make things worse by going to the faster action of the LT when crank fishing.

Thanks for the tips guys.  I have a 7'0" Triumph spinning rod that I have no problem casting but wanted a shorter stick just for variety.  In terms of applications, the Tube would be used for more general purpose but with a focus on spinnerbaits and cranks.  I will try to find a place with the rod in stock and get a feel for it.  

The Teaser is not really similar to the spinning rod you're looking at. They are different blanks. Its a little north of its M rating, and compared to the Avid Casting rods I use for cranks (AVC70MM and AVC70MHM) its quite a bit faster, too fast for those applications. I love my Teaser, but its not the Tube.

I haven't tried the one you are asking about but have the sweeper spinnerbait rod I wish I could find someone to trade with.  Just don't like it at all.  On the other hand I have the topwater rod that I LOVE.

I think they are the best looking rods out there.