Sign in to follow this  
LVLDVL

Just bought Fenwick HMG, realized new model is in - what's the difference?

Bought a 6'6" MH for $90 clearanced at Cabelas earlier today. I'm browsing the website now and realized that there are new models which were not at the store. I thought it was a fall clearance, not a liquidation.

This time around, they are set at $100 instead of $120, they have action ratings on the rod, and Fuji Alconite guides. I would imagine the components on the new models are either similar or better quality. How can it be that it's lower in price?

By the way, what is the action rating on the (old) HMG? I dunno...should I refund and wait for the new ones or am I holding a similar product for $10 less than the current model?

Your 6'6" MH is the GT66MH model. It's a medium-heavy/fast rod. It's an excellent rod. I use mine for t-rigged plastics.

The current (old model) HMGs don't have their actions printed on the rod. But you can find them on Fenwick's website, or simply judge it by feel. Essentially, if it's a medium power rod, it will have a medium-fast action. If its a medium heavy, it will have a fast action. (Beware, though, Fenwick's website shows the GT66M as a fast action rod, and the GT66MH as a medium-fast. This is wrong. Should be the other way around. I can not only feel this on my rods, but the lady at Fenwick I spoke to checked an confirmed it.)

The HMGs are excellent rods - light and very sensitive. I have 5 baitcasters (GT70MH, GT70M, GT66MH, and GT66M x2) and 2 spinning models (GS70MH and GS70M). One thing I like is that they are rated to handle a wide range of lure weights. And while I have other rods and reels, the HMGs I own would cover just about all the fishing techniques I use. I don't plan to give up any of the HMGs I own.

I don't own one of the new HMGs, yet. I will own a couple in the next few weeks. (I'm going to retire some of my older All Star rods.)

The new HMGs I've handled feel great and look fantastic. My understanding is that the blank is the same as the old HMG. They still use the Carbon Veil. They are darker in color than the current HMGs - almost a black cherry color. They do use Fuji Alconite guides, spaced the same as the Hardloy guides are on the current HMG. The grips are a cork/rubber composite. They feel very sure and very durable. The foregrip is bigger than on current HMGs. The new rod's foregrip is what tightens down the ring that goes over the reel's foot, unlike the current HMG that has a seperate ring. Unfortunately, the foregrip does not click like on BPS brand rods. The new HMG uses nice champagne-colored winding checks. The reel seat is a Fuji ACS with a "soft touch" coating. This proved durable on past HMGs, though Fenwick did away with it for some reason. The rod's blank is flex-coated just like current HMGs. It's also made in China just like current HMGs. The new and current HMGs both have lifetime warranties.

I don't know why the new HMG is the same price as the old HMGs. If it uses the same blank, I suspect the new ones will be just as sensitive and durable as the old ones. I like the grips very much. I'm not sure if I will like the ASC reel seat. I have big hands the finger grooves seem designed for smaller hands. The Alconite guides are nice, but the current model's Hardloy guides are just as good, IMO.

$90 is an excellent price for the current HMG. It is an excellent rod. For that price, and the hassle of returning it, I'd keep it. Mine have served me very well and I'm sure they will continue to do so.

Edit:  the HMG does not use the foregrip to tighten down the reel.  it used a standard Fuji ring.  

BTW, I got to play with some of the new HMXs and Eagle GTs as well.  These have been revamped, also.  The first thing I noticed is that the cork on the HMXs and GTs is MUCH nicer than on the current models.   The forgrip locks the reel down on these rods, too.  And I noticed some new power/actions I hadn't seen before.  I handled a 7' HMX with a MH/MF rating.  I think it was rated to 1.5 oz lures.  It looked like it would be a good cranking rod.

Wow, that was some great info Micro.

I've only seen the new HMGs and they look pretty different. I've heard that they feel pretty different too. I'm not psyched about the update, myself, but things change all the time. (like eliminating the Techna AV, WTH?) You liked the rod when you bought it, right? I know I love mine! I say stick with it too. It's a great rod.

hello,just thought i'd chime in here,as you all know or some of you know,I got one of thier new Elite-Tech rod's in a warranty exchange,by the way is it sensitive!! :D the elite tech rod's are "technique specific" mine is a jerkin stick but it has a strong back but a lite tip for throwing small bait's which by the way work real good for worm's and tube's which I use it for,it's 7ft2in and rated 4to12lb line ;)   junebugmn