Sign in to follow this  
Bigs

Shimano Compre TC4 Crankbait rod

I had a store credit at BPS so went ahead and picked up a 7 foot medium. Anyone else using these? I handled all the medium 7 foot crankbait rods they had between 100-150 bux and to me I couldnt tell much difference between them. I liked the daiwa light and tough but didnt seem like it was worth the extra money. I also handled the St croix triumph but didnt like the handle as much. Plus I wasnt so sure bout gettin an all glass rod. The crucial didnt feel lighter to me and didnt flex any easier from what I could tell when I bent the heck out of it, really all I felt like I would be gettin was a better warranty with it. So I went with the compre.

Its flexible enough imo and for the price seemed hard to beat. Im just gonna be using it with my zillion crazy cranker with 10 pound fluoro to throw small shallow cranks. I did notice when I got home tho and put my reel on it that it is not quite balanced but close enough for me. I should have brought my reel but I thought they would have one there but of course they didnt. Still happy with my purchase tho. Cant wait to try it out. My only concern is that it looks under powered, this thing is skinny! But I like the way it feels in my hands. Anyone else that owns one plz comment on how it performs.

I have a 6'6" version of that rod that I love for smaller 1/4 oz shallow running cranks and traps....anything heavier than that though I use a MH St Croix Premier crank rod. Both of my rods are 6'6"...I'd buy 7 footers if i had to buy again though.

I have the 7 footers in med and med-heavy and like them a lot. I used glass rods before but since we moved to MI, most of my cranking happens around weeds (like milfoil, coontail, etc) ; very rarely rocks or wood.

I found that a mod-fast action behaves better when the crankbait gets fouled: I give it a bit of slack and than snap it , and in most of the situation it's gonna loose the weeds and I'll just keep fishing it.

they are soft enough to hold the fish on almost any size treble hooks, if you are not "horseing" the fish.

I like the med-heavy for spinnerbaits, buzbaits and swim jigs, too.

ya I was thinkin the MH might be good for my next buzzbait/spinner bait rod. I'll have to wait and see what I think of this one first tho. What reels do you them paired up with ?

The crucial didnt feel lighter to me and didnt flex any easier from what I could tell when I bent the heck out of it, really all I felt like I would be gettin was a better warranty with it. So I went with the compre.

Do you mean a better warranty from the Crucial to the Compre?? They both have the same lifetime warranty.

The crucial didnt feel lighter to me and didnt flex any easier from what I could tell when I bent the heck out of it, really all I felt like I would be gettin was a better warranty with it. So I went with the compre.

Do you mean a better warranty from the Crucial to the Compre?? They both have the same lifetime warranty.

Oh I always thought my compre spinning rod had a 5 year. Just looked it up and looks like you're right. Even better for me then.