Sign in to follow this  
tr21

Abu Garcia Black Max!

I was looking at buying some of these, has anyone on here had any experiences with them! I know they are kinda cheap but I was wondering if they were worth the money? Any suggestions?

i have problems with that reel using braid line. i would go buy the revo s or the citica e. :P go buy it at fishermanswarehouse.com for the revo s $99 with free shipping.

I don't know about that particular reel, but a friend of mine has about seven of them and he loves them. I have a silver max and it is pretty good for the money.

It would be worth it to get the revo if you can.  If not this isnt a bad reel for $50.  I have been using mine all year with no issues, I use it for crankin and it works great.  

Cliff

My brother had a Black Max, and I hated it. It's just not a good reel. Period. Save up a little more and get a Citica 200e. Fantastic reel.

The Silver Max is an upgrade. You can usually get a combo for either it or the Black Max at BassPro for around 60-75. The Silver Max is your best bet. Makew sure you take it apart and clean it. One down fall is they seem to require more cleaning if you fish a lot. The anti reverse bearning has to be lubed a lot on them or else it makes a wine sound a lot.

I owned 2 of them one of mine started to have problems with the anti reverse after 2 months and now the other one is having the same problem I took them apart and re lubed them and gave them a good cleaning now they work fine but if you can save up and get a better reel abus round reels are good reels and not that expensive. I own 2 c3 5500s and they are excellent reels for 90.00 but you have to like round reels they are work horses of the abu line up.

I purchased the combo last week to learn on and i'm using braid

its actually not that bad... i'm not a great fan of the drag system doesn't feel that assuring as to how much holding pressure is on, but it works