Sign in to follow this  
MattinOK

Threading line through the line guide (vision impared)

I've stumbled upon a problem with my new baitcaster (already!). This new Quantum reel has a small round line guide. I have no depth perception and low vision out of my left eye, and I'm blind out of my right. As you can well image, this makes threading the line through the guide an interesting experience. This wasn't a problem on my first reel because it had a big oval shaped guide. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get the dang reel ready to fish. Is there any tips or tricks you other vision impaired people have? Thanks

Matthew Luce

off the top of my head, you could possibly tie the line to a pipe cleaner & thread it through...if the hole is large enough...

Don't know what size the opening is, but you can try a pipe cleaner, or when my kids had braces they had floss threaders that looked like oversized plastic needles that the floss threaded into and they were able to floss.  The pipe cleaner isn't my idea as there was a thread a month or so ago where it was brought up.

Don't know what size the opening is, but you can try a pipe cleaner, or when my kids had braces they had floss threaders that looked like oversized plastic needles that the floss threaded into and they were able to floss. The pipe cleaner isn't my idea as there was a thread a month or so ago where it was brought up.

That's a great idea! I have a couple of packages left over from my brace wearing years. I finally get something useful out of my braces!  ;D

That's a great idea! I have a couple of packages left over from my brace wearing years. I finally get something useful out of my braces! ;D

You mean besides your million dollar smile for 5 grand ;D

Hidepounder you a latin king? Careful as alot of the more popular handsigns have gang affiliations, unless you are a gangbanger then you already know that.

There is a tool that us fly tiers use that's called a bobbin threader. You could buy one, or even make one. Here's a link to a video that will give you and idea. If you make one, you could make it with wire big enough to see, but small enough to get through the line guide.

Hope that helps.

There is a tool that us fly tiers use that's called a bobbin threader. You could buy one, or even make one. Here's a link to a video that will give you and idea. If you make one, you could make it with wire big enough to see, but small enough to get through the line guide.

Hope that helps.

That is exactly what I posted a link to.

That pipe cleaner idea is great!  I'm nowhere near blind, but my vision isn't perfect.  Added to this is my problem with shaky hands.  The pipe cleaners will cut my re-thread time from minutes to seconds.  Thanks guys!

matt, i have a one of the new quantums and they are BY FAR the hardest to thread line through the line guide; the line guide hole is small, the distance between the line guide and the accessible top of the reel is far and the top of the frame is low and wide...i have trouble and i have good vision. if some of the other suggestions don't work out for you, consider changing reels. the new curado/citicas are very easy to thread because the top part of the reel is very open. the daiwa fuego and zillion are also easy to thread because the line eye very tall.

Thanks everyone for the excellent tips. I hope they help some people as much as they have helped me. One thing I found that works for me. Brace the back grip of the rod on your shoulder; that puts the line guide directly on eye level (or it did for me) Then it's a cinch to thread it!

Hidepounder you a latin king? Careful as alot of the more popular handsigns have gang affiliations, unless you are a gangbanger then you already know that.

thats the rock n roll sign for us whiteboy fishin gangsta guys :o ...even though it may be one used for the crown...

i'm sure my blue eyed/white butt wouldn't be confused to quick with a latin king flashin gang signs holding a bass...

no worries 8-)

beilive it or not i use tweezers the one with long nose not the hair tweezers one and it works for me

the best way of all is to not let the line ever get past the line guide. i recommend these line retainers from bass pro shops:

60744.jpg