Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

P-Line Floroclear/C-XX

I have P-Line Floroclear (8 lb) on my Sahara 2500, and P-Line C-XX (15 lb) on my Citica.

After one use, the C-XX is extremely coiled and a pain in the a** to fish. Sure I've bent flippin' jig hooks trying to get it un-snagged, but the coil drives me wild.

The Floroclear just randomly breaks on hook-sets, casts, and one time in the middle of my retrieve.

I really wanted to like the Floroclear, beacause it had little stretch and little memory (at least for me).

The problem is, I just don't feel comfortable with it. It's kind of a confidence thing.

I want to replace both of them. For the spinning set-up, Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft is my obvious choice.

My Citica is where I'm lost. Should I get Yo-Zuri Hybrid? I REALLY like the co-polymer lines; they're cheap and have a lot less stretch than regular mono.

I will mostly be using jigs and plastics, and some spinnerbaits.

G

I've never had a hookset problem with flouro-clear, I use 8 lb too on my Stradic and only break off when hung.  As for the CXX, it's a package deal and for me the managabilty is a non issue, doesn't affect casting or the actual fishing so it doesn't bother me.  I would suggest YZ hybrid on both but I've never used US.  I would also suggest CX as a compromise between the two.

Haha, Didn't you just make a thread where you said C-xx was "amazing." Anyway, We had a similar experience with it breaking upon hookset, not happy with it. Not sure if its because we got an old spool from Bps because it looked pretty old but was pretty disappointed. Have had no problems with the flouro clear so far.

Haha, Didn't you just make a thread where you said C-xx was "amazing." Anyway, We had a similar experience with it breaking upon hookset, not happy with it. Not sure if its because we got an old spool from Bps because it looked pretty old but was pretty disappointed. Have had no problems with the flouro clear so far.

Bahaha, the first time I used it, it wasn't all curled up, and was really good. Now it's just annoying.

The Floroclear drives me nuts too.

I have used Floroclear in 10# and 12# and actually felt that it stretches like crazy. Had no issues with break-offs though, and actually really like the 10# for spinning aside from the stretch (good line for cranking IMO). Also, you may try downsizing the CXX. I'm currently using 8# on my E7 with no problems after a few outings. I think I may switch to 10# in the spring, but even the 8# is plenty strong if you are not fishing heavy cover. Try switching to 10# or 12# and see how you like it. Its around $8-$10 for 300 yards so its worth giving it a shot. And although I have never tried it, I have heard KVD line conditioner really helps with CXX.

In my experience P-line Flouroclear=garbage. I would definitely go with Hybrid US for the spinning rig. Id say try CX or Hybrid for the casting if your stuck on a copolymer.

It's weird how line reviews are all over the place.

I know of a few people who swear Flouroclear is EXCELLENT. My brother uses Viscous Flourocarbon with succes. I've fished with him plenty and I've never seen him have a problem.

PLine especially in the CXX, has a large diameter to line rating ratio. Of course it's strong....The 17 is in a 12-14lb box.

I'll stick to Yo-Zuri in most applications, 100% Flourcarbon Trilene in only a select few.

Use 50lb Braid with a 15lb CXX leader. You will have all the strength of 50lb braid and CXX, and absolutely no coil what so ever.

Most lines above 12lb test coil, fluorocarbons especially. If the jig is heavy enough, it shouldn't bother you.

I have had hook setting line breaking issues with 15 lb. P-line floroclear this year. On one occasion I set the hook on a jig and the line broke and my first thought was I should have re-tied, after tying on a new jig I broke off on the hook set on the very next cast. 

I had terrible problems with the Fluorclear breaking on hooksets.  I finally swore it off.  I have been using Berkley Vanish 10, 12, and 14 pound test and have no issues with break off and seems to have no stretch and great sensitivity for the money.  I prefer Gamma but if you are trying not to pay as much as the Gamma costs, then I would highly recommend the Vanish for a less expensive line.