Sign in to follow this  
SWH

Drag Setups

What is the best way to set the drag on your reel? i typically set it so that it will pull off the reel with a fair amount of pressure but when i catch one i find that i have to tighten it during the fight. It might be cause i am using a light rod right now with a light or extra light reel. cant remember off my head... Any suggestions on how to do this properly? Also i have looked at the articles but dont quite understand how to properly clean and keep your reel working properly. Can you use WD40 on it?

25% for drag...if using 12# test,your drag should be pulling out line at 3# pressure.

As for cleaning reels use this http://www.***/education/index.html ...if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you can just Email and send him the reel.Everybody has nothing but good things to say after they get their reels back.

What is the best way to set the drag on your reel? i typically set it so that it will pull off the reel with a fair amount of pressure but when i catch one i find that i have to tighten it during the fight. It might be cause i am using a light rod right now with a light or extra light reel. cant remember off my head... Any suggestions on how to do this properly?
Yup!

Mount the reel on the rod, line the rod and pull from the rod tip. A good spring loaded scale hooked to a loop on your tag end of the line. Using the rod to lift the tip like fish fighting. Monitor the scale as to how much it takes to get the drag to slip, then adjust accordingly. 1/3 the lines tested strength.

Also i have looked at the articles but don't quite understand how to properly clean and keep your reel working properly. Can you use WD40 on it?

Do not use WD-40 on ANY reels internals, you can use it sprayed onto a rag for a wipe down but nothing more....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Ok thanks i will get on that... WHen your not fishing how should you keep the drag or keep it the same as when your fishing. I think that is all the questions that will pop up on my reel... Thanks again

8-)

The only time I back my drags off so there is zero pressure on the pads (can spin the handle while holding the spool) is when I am storing for long periods (like over winter). Other wise some do it after each outing and some don't. But it is a good habit any way it is done...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!