Sign in to follow this  
Bossdog

Wide spool spinning reels

Anyone have any experience with wide arbor spinning reels? I've been looking into the U.S. Reel line of spinning reels as well as the Bass Pro models. I see Pfleuger has recently added one to their list also.Just curious to hear if people like this style of spinning reel.They sound good on paper but I've never heard any feedback or comments on this type of reel.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,B.D.

Things to think about......

Larger spool can equal greater surface area for drag which can be nice to increase drag pressure potential, or to dissipate heat when fishing for species that are known for hard charging and long runs.  Also means line wraps in a less tight coil on spool which will allow it to flow off the spool a little better.  It could even mean greater IPT of line retrieved at one time given that the gear ratio would be the same as another reel with a smaller spool, everytime the rotor makes a round you take in more line than the other one would.

Only thing I'd make sure of is if you get one I'd make sure the stripper guide on the rod is large enough to take the flow of line as it pays off.  I've noticed the larger the spool, the wider the line flaps as it pays out and the smaller that first line guide is then the more slap you get against it which creates friction and resistance and can cut into casting distance.  I personally buy rods with no less than 25mm line guides at the bottom always (exception...ultralight rods).  If my thumb won't fit through that bottom guide on a spinning rod then it goes back on the rack. 

Aside from all this......no I've never tried a wide spool reel......even with some obvious advantages, I just think they look ugly as sin so I just won't get one.