Sign in to follow this  
ib_of_the_damned

Centrifugal 6-pin Brakes, Advantages and Disadvantages?

I have never owned a centrifugal brake casting reel, I have only owned and used magnetic brakes. Is there a huge difference between the two types? Are they easier to work with? Backlashes? I have been wanting to try a reel with a centrifugal brake, any and all advice and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

i have a REVO TORO that has centrifugal brakes and a REVO SX that has an external magnetic brake . with the TORO , i have 2 brakes set on it and can cast 3-6 oz. baits on it with out messin' with the brakes , set-it and forget it kind of thing . with the SX , i find my self making adjustments from time to time when i throw varying weighted baits . i think the externally magnetic brakes let you really dial them in for specific bait weights , where as the centrifugal brakes cover more of an array of bait weights . did that make sense ?? :-? . anyhow , i don't favor one over the other , they both are good  :)

I've used Shimano Calcutta's since their invention and have mine setup with ever other pin on or 3 of 6. Once set I never change it again but I do however adjust the cast control knob and educate my thumb.

IMO, centrifugal braking reels are easier to cast without backlash than a mag only reel.  Unless you're speaking of Daiwa's mag braking which works completely differently than everybody elses.  Ultimately you still have to teach your thumb how to properly spool the reel during a cast regardless of which type of braking system you get unless you go with one of the new dual braking models. Those are virtually thumbsfree casting.