Sign in to follow this  
microman

getting a new bait caster need help

im getting a new bait cast rod and reel combo, a abugarcia black-with a meduim action rod

i will use this for general all around bass fishing,

i just wanted to know what type of line i should use.

mono,(what are the advatages and dis advatages),braid,(what are the advatages and dis advatages),or florocarb,(what are the advatages and dis advatages)

i will probly use between 8 and 15 lbs test line

can anyone help me?

For general, all around fishing I would use 10-12lb mono, most likely 12lb. I wouldn't use braid if you are planning on using it for moving lures like crankbaits, nor would I pick flouro because it sinks quicker than mono if you wanted to use it for topwaters.

One question, is this your first baitcaster? If so, I'd get a 1/4lb spool of Berkley BigGame 10 or 12lb test and get your thumb trained and the reel adjusted to how you like it. This spool will give you 1200-1500 yards of quality line to learn with.

Then I'd work on getting better lines, though I still use Berkley BigGame line.

It rarely happens :) but yesterday I had to respool, I caught a tree branch on the cast, zing!

One question, is this your first baitcaster? If so, I'd get a 1/4lb spool of Berkley BigGame 10 or 12lb test and get your thumb trained and the reel adjusted to how you like it. This spool will give you 1200-1500 yards of quality line to learn with.

Then I'd work on getting better lines, though I still use Berkley BigGame line.

It rarely happens :) but yesterday I had to respool, I caught a tree branch on the cast, zing!

Yep. Agree. Can't beat big game. And since it is inexpensive a good line to start out on baitcasters with.

Something I've not seen mentioned is that depending on the sensitivity/quality of the rod maybe different lines can be used to increase sensitivity-for instance braid. A no stretch line might compensate for an slow actioned rod to a point.

The combo should have the appropriate line sizes listed on it (this is for monofilament).I'd get a practice plug and start getting used to thumbing the spool.If you are using this for all around fishing the mono will definitely fit the bill.I remember my first baicaster.I had many "professional overruns" ;D ;D.But now that i've gotten better at using them I now rarely use my spinning gear.That being said practice till you get it right,then practice till you can't get it wrong.

good luck to yah

First off, as many of these fellas have said...practice. My first BC was a x-mas present. All winter i practiced outside in the snow and cold.

Just stick with mono as your line. It is the only line that can fit the bill for every situation. 10lb is the lowest I'd go with. I like 2 lines. The first is the rd package of Suffix. The other is BPS Excel line, it's inexpensive and doesn't break easy. It does stretch...but not to a point that I have found any disadvantages.

There are some keys to setting up your BC. The most important is setting the breaking. I tell people this...your bait should fall as quickly as possible to the point that when it hits the ground no line backlashes (the spool stops). Then turn the breaking up 1 more turn. This is a good jumping off point to start.

Good Luck.