Sign in to follow this  
jamis

fluorocarbon leader to 40LB powerpro and braided line knots

which fluorocarbon line do you recommend for use as a leader to 40LB prower pro braid for baitcaster and how long should it be?

What's the best knot for braided line other than palomar knot?

Thanks

When I use a leader with braid, I always use 100% flourocarbon, and use a blood knot.

When I use a leader, I use 20# fluorocarbon. The longest I use is the distance from the reel to the rod tip. I use the uni-uni knot connection.

edited: actually the max. length is from the rod tip to the hook holder. That is done for two reasons: 1. I do not want any leader on the reel spool so I won't have any spool memory on the leader. 2. I do not want a memory kink in the leader when I use the rod hook keeper.

My use of a leader is not what most fishermen use it for. I use it as a weight to make the braid sink for weightless presentations. Otherwise a leader is not needed.

Ditto on the flourocarbon line,usually SEAGAR 20#,I like about 8' of line on a 7' rod,look up the Slim beauty knot on Google,learn to tie it in the dark and you're set! Crowcommander

On a bait caster I use approx 6ft of fluorocarbon anywhere from 6-20# test.. It drives me nuts to have the knot reach the reel as it hurts my thumb on long hard casts. I just use my arms stretched out to measure the line.

1) Which brand and model should I get(fluorocarbon lines/leader)?

2)what i meant is what's the best knot for braided line when tight the knot directly to the lure like crankbait or soft plastic?

Thanks for all the tips.

1) For floro leader I like Plin Floro or floroclear but I've also used Trilene 100% Floro without much problem.  (I don't care for Vicious or Vanish)  12# or 15# most of the time but I'll go to 20# in the thick stuff.

For braid I like 30# or 50# Suffix green

2) I usually use a palomar knot to tie braid to terminal.  But I make sure to pull the tag end tight with  pliers and throw on an extra overhand knot at the end just to be sure it wont slip.