Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

Do you mess with the Shimano VBS on the reels?

Of course. I usually change them if I'm casting into heavy wind or if I change from one bait to another of a vastly different weight. They're there to be used, but if you stay within similar conditions and throw lures with similar weights you shouldn't need to use them too much.

Dixon,

If you choose to adjust any brake system like this one, be sure the opposite side is set the same. I like my reels free as possible and only set braking systems, magnets or centrifugal for windy conditions.  The best brake is your thumb.

I recently removed all my brakes on my Chronarch..but 2 on seemed to work the best. 1/2 oz baits is the min. I throw with it.

My Curado e7 came factory set with two brakes on and 4 off. If your backlashing or getting a bit of overrun on the beginning of the cast, pop the sideplate and engage a brake or two depending on how bad it is. If the startup on beginning of the cast is clean and overrun occurs near the end when the lure is slowing down, not speeding up, tighten the cast control knob. Usually, for normal conditions, if you hold the rod straight out and reel in freespool, the lure should fall slowly to the ground and no overrun should occur when it hits the ground. Make sure it actually lands on solid ground because water cushions it and it may be a bit loose. After that its all in the thumb. Yesterday for some reason i was dropshotting and i would get minor overruns on the beginning of the casts, so i added one brake for the first time since purchasing it. From then on my casts and distance were perfect. Just for the heck of it, i disengaged all of the brakes but kept the cast control knob the same and as soon as i lifted my thumb from the spool and the rig flew 5 feet everything came to a halt and i was reminded of my first days with a baitcaster in my hands as i sat there and picked out a mean backlash  ;D