Sign in to follow this  
ODgreen

Advice on a new rod

A while back I bought a BPS Stampede spinning combo. I fished a while with it, and did well. One day I looked at the rods stats( Forgive me, I'm new) and realized that my 7' rod was only rated at medium and maxed out at 12 lb test. So basically I want to know what is a good, and economic rod to replace this one, hopefully is the 6' range.

Not sure I understand your problem.  A 7' medium spinning rod is an absolute staple.  It can do everything except fish the really heavy slop.

If you're looking to expand your collection, it really depends what type of fishing you want to do.

12 pound test is usually the maximum I will put on a spinning rig.

I usually go with 8 pound test for spinning applications.

There are so many rods out there that you can put yourself in the Funny Farm if you start to review them in detail.

In addition, there are guys who love the St. Croix Avids; the Shimano line; Diawa rods; Loomis sticks; BPS rods; etc. and they will suggest their favorites.

May I suggest reading about a number of rods that can handle your techniques and then decide which one is best.

You can find a lot of information on line for each rod manufacturer, even the ones you cannot afford or are not interested in purchasing, just to obtain their input.

Remember to balance the reel's line test with the rod's line test along with the parameters of the baits you will be fishing.

Good luck and let us know what you select.  :D

Why replace it , just add a med/hvy rod. You want cheap/decent rod, go with a lightning rod by berkley.

I've got 6# Yo Zuri on my spinning. If you put a 12# co-poly on it, I'm sure it will be fine. But I agree with Wayne "wacky" P.  Throw a MH/F rod into your arsenal and you're set.  Look into some house brands, BPS, Ganders Guide Series (I have both, and love both) or a Cabelas house brand rod.  You won't be dissappointed. Also, there has been a lot of hype about the new Abu Vendetta rods, and they are priced great. Good luck, and welcome to the site.