Sign in to follow this  
NOVA Angler

Dobyns 705CB GLASS

Looking for some input on this rod.  I'm considering buying it to use mostly for lipless cranks up to 3/4 oz.  Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Hehe...let me try asking this way...Does the 704CB handle the 3/4 oz baits better than the 705CB handles the 1/4 oz baits?

another good question  ;D unfortunately, i can't really say because, while i own the 704CB glass, i haven't fished with it yet. i've been avoiding using it in case i decide to sell it, i think it would hold more value if never used. i think i have way too many rods  :-/

There are TWO 705 Glass Rods, so please pay attention to that when you're ready to make your decision.

One is a fast tip and one is a moderate tip. Both have good give which is what is ideal for cranking, but one just has a bit faster tip. I have the fast tip Glass 705 and absolutely love it. I don't throw lipless cranks, but I do throw Ripbaits, Crankbaits, and Spinnerbaits on it, all with no problem, all up to 3/4oz and in weeds as well.

like brokeju said, they all have a parabolic bend. and, between a mod or fast action, that is a preference thing. if you like to rip rattlebaits in the grass, then you will probably want a fast action. between the dobyns and the lamiglas, the dobyns is slightly lighter but significantly more comfortable to hold (for my hands, anyway). i seem to have a better strike-to-hookup ratio with the lami though and that's why i want to get the 705CBMF...the one i played with reminded me a lot of my lami. here are the weights in case you're interested:

lamiglas XCF-705R 5.7 ounces

dobyns 705CB glass 5.4 ounces

dobyns 704CB glass 4.6 ounces

g.loomis CBR-845C 4.6 ounces

(all measurements on my postage scale).

Thanks for the input fellas.  Ive been wanting to try a new cranking rod. I purchased a 705CB Glass this morning and will put it through the paces in the spring. BR is a great way to get a true review on products, especially since my exposure to new fishing rods is limited.  Most of the fishermen in my club have multiple model rods and reels of the same brand.  Thanks again!

Thanks for the input fellas. Ive been wanting to try a new cranking rod. I purchased a 705CB Glass this morning and will put it through the paces in the spring. BR is a great way to get a true review on products, especially since my exposure to new fishing rods is limited. Most of the fishermen in my club have multiple model rods and reels of the same brand. Thanks again!

You will not be disappointed. I love my Dobyns Glass Rods.