Sign in to follow this  
Clyde

Reel Size??

I have a medium lite Shimano Convergence rod. Which size reel would you put on there. I have a cheap reel on there now and I think its a 2500 size. Just wondering what other sizes people use. I am thinking a 2000 size would be good. I already know which reel its gonna be just need a size. Thanks

the 2500-size is perhaps the most versatile size for bass fishing. however, 2500-size reels are not necessarily similar. for example, i recently received my shimano stradic Ci4 2500 and it looks to be 1/3 smaller overall than my daiwa advantage 2500 and about the same size as my daiwa fuego 2000. smaller reels are naturally more compact and lighter but bigger reels give you less line memory, less line twist and usually more drag power. a 2000-size daiwa or a 2500-size shimano is the sweet spot for me.

I think it would depend on the length of the rod. A 5'6" ML rod might balance well with a 1500 series reel, but you'd need a larger/heavier reel to achieve the same balance with a 7' rod.

Which ever size you choose, make sure before you buy it to check to make sure it will provide u w/ the amount and size of line u want to put on it. The larger models must likely will hold thicker diameter and longer legnths of line compared to the smaller models.