Sign in to follow this  
Alexxo1112

Need help picking up 2 new rods

Hey guys, I'm getting back to saltwater fishing and looking to get 2 new rods for mainly pier fishing in the bay, prefer great castability and *lightweight* cause I'll be casting 6 -12oz on heavy currents. 1 rod will be pair with the Okuma abf65, and the other will be pair with daiwa sealine black.

I got a slightly used loomis swim bait series 904 that I don't reallty use so I'm planning to trade that in to pair with the daiwa, and maybe purchase another rod for the okuma.

And would it be wise to use surf rod for pier fishing? any advice would help greatly!

i pier fish on occasion and i just use a cheap setup which consists of an ugly stick rod and a shakespeare reel.  The ugly Stick is very strong and will not break so i would recommend that plus its cheap.

First, yes you can use a surf rod on the pier.  I actually prefer it when using bottom rigs as I rest the rod butt on the deck wedged under my chair and it keeps the tip way up above the rails.  Works well for my 10'rs.

Not sure sure what you will be fishing for, and, your idea of "lightweight" when throwing 6-12 oz.  Those are heavers here on the East coast and the rods are fairly heavy.  Unless you are targeting Kings (here East Coast) you typically don't need to be casting 6-12 oz very far.

If able, I would check around with some of the "locals" and see what they have to say.  I think you could definitely get by with two rods.  One for heavy rigs and the other, lighter, for casting jigs and spoons.  The reels should be fine as long as you wash them off after each trip in the salt.

6-12 oz is heavy!

Can't go wrong with the ugly stick, great spine and economical.  If you want to spend more take a peek at Star or Seeker rods.

I was out rod shopping yesterday and noticed ugly stick had a very nice line up "surf rods".

Thanks for the feedbacks, mainly I'll be targeting stipers, sturgeons and halibuts. In the inner bay area, currents do move fast, 8oz weight gets move around like a bobber on the big out going tide which is why during those tides I have to cast up to 12oz to have my bait stay still. since I'll be chunking that kinda weight all day on two rod, I do get tired at the end of the day and since I have no experience with surf rod, thinking it must of made for casting distance so it should be some what of a lightweight rod but I could be wrong.