Sign in to follow this  
-nick-

Dobyns Champion 702SF

I've saved up enough money now to get a good spinning rod and I really like the looks/sound of the 702SF, but I'm worried it won't be as sensitive as a Loomis IMX. I've heard a few things about the Dobyns but would like a little more before I drop that much money on the rod. Maybe even if someone has used a Dobyns Champion series rod and can compare it to an IMX would be great. Thanks.

I have a 701 and 702 spinning. Very light weight and very sensitive.

I've owned 1 Loomis rod, MBR844C GLX . I sold it to replace it with a 734 Dobyns Extreme rod and didn't regret it one bit. I love being able to put my finger on the rod blank above the reel instead of on a piece of cork.

I have a 701 and 702 spinning. Very light weight and very sensitive.

I've owned 1 Loomis rod, MBR844C GLX . I sold it to replace it with a 734 Dobyns Extreme rod and didn't regret it one bit. I love being able to put my finger on the rod blank above the reel instead of on a piece of cork.

Yeah but is the Dobyns as sensitive as the IMX? Not the Extreme series but just the regular Champion?

The extreme was comparable to that of the GLX. I haven't personally fished an IMX. I have read and heard of several reviews on other forums about guys switching from IMX rods to Champions. Search around and you'll find some great reviews. You will not be disappointed one bit with a Dobyns rod.

The extreme was comparable to that of the GLX. I haven't personally fished an IMX. I have read and heard of several reviews on other forums about guys switching from IMX rods to Champions. Search around and you'll find some great reviews. You will not be disappointed one bit with a Dobyns rod.

Thanks. And what kind of warranty am I looking at for the Dobyns?

What are the main differences between the Extreme and just the regular one?

If it matters to you Loomis is the rod to which other brands are compared and are made in the U.S.A., Dobyn's are made China.

If it matters to you Loomis is the rod to which other brands are compared and are made in the U.S.A., Dobyn's are made China.

From what I read they're not made in China any more it's somewhere else I can't remember. Either way it's not the U.S. For cars I'm going to stick with American made, but for a rod it's too hard to stick with American made.

Great, now that I've looked into them more I think I'm going to save up a little more for the Extreme.

Not a problem and I agree it shouldn't be the only factor in your decision and I don't buy U.S. made products every time however if you had a hard time picking between the 2 I fiquered it might be something to consider. Either way good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Great, now that I've looked into them more I think I'm going to save up a little more for the Extreme.

Well, since you are saving money, you might as well get the GLX BSR852.  I can't imagine a better, more sensitive spinning rod than this (though, I realize your original post was asking about a Dobyns, so I apologize for discussing another rod).

Well, since you are saving money, you might as well get the GLX BSR852. I can't imagine a better, more sensitive spinning rod than this (though, I realize your original post was asking about a Dobyns, so I apologize for discussing another rod).

Not a problem. But yeah I'm not going to be able to save enough for a GLX. 300 for a rod is making me feel crazy. But I do have a 50 dollar gift card to TW so it's really only 250! ;D

Really though when I researched Dobyns rods a little more, it sounds to me like the extreme is the best rod for 300.

You won't be sorry with the Champion or the Extreme, both are great rods for the money. I have an Extreme 784 and would take it any day over my old Loomis MBR844C GLX.

Having said that, if you CAN spend the money, the Extremes are SWEET rods. And at $50 off since you have a gift card, that's one hell of a steal.

The new rods are made in Korea. They have the no hassle no questions asked lifetime warranty for $60.

I have a DX702SF (Extreme). I would STRONGLY recogmend getting this rod. And with your 50$ gift cert. to TW you can get this rod for just 20$ more then Champion. Which is one heck of a deal. This rod is very light, VERY well balanced and while I have never compared it to a loomis, I have heard from MANY people that they are par with or even better then a loomis GLX. And for only 250$ you cant beat it, period.

I have a DX702SF (Extreme). I would STRONGLY recogmend getting this rod. And with your 50$ gift cert. to TW you can get this rod for just 20$ more then Champion. Which is one heck of a deal. This rod is very light, VERY well balanced and while I have never compared it to a loomis, I have heard from MANY people that they are par with or even better then a loomis GLX. And for only 250$ you cant beat it, period.

To make your purchase even sweeter, I found on another site a 10% off TW coupon you can try.  After your gift card the Extreme 702SF would be $219.99. 

PS I PM'ed you the link to the coupon.

Brokju,

Is that warranty only over the counter at Dobyns dealers, as the website makes it seem. Or can it be similar to the Loomis expiditor service where you pay the $60 and they send you a new rod and then you send them the broken one?

To make your purchase even sweeter, I found on another site a 10% off TW coupon you can try. After your gift card the Extreme 702SF would be $219.99.

PS I PM'ed you the link to the coupon.

Thanks guys! It might take me another week or so but I'm pretty sure the Extreme is the route I'm going to take.