Sign in to follow this  
zero

frog rod help

i need help deceding a frog rod here the listing

7 foot med-hvy 3/8-1oz

7foot 6in hvy 3/8oz-2oz

which one should i pick?

The longer rod will definitely help with longer casts and moving more line on the hook set. I frog with a 7'3 rod, and occasionally with a 7'6 and 8ft rod. The heavier rod would definitely be my pick , especially if you're throwing it on weed mats. Better to have more power then to be under powered with frogs.

I have always gone with the bigger the better, but somebody was just telling me the other day that he prefers a 7' rod, because an 8' rod moves to much line on the hookset and the shorter rod allows him to let the fish have the frog for an extra second or 2.  I guess for guys with an itchy trigger finger that would be ok, but I can usually do alright waiting on the hookset.

Im curious as to why you wouldnt want to move as much line as possible, if you evalutate the strike you should have no problem hooking 9 out of 10 fish that eat it. Get the longer and heavier rod for frogs. There are no disadvantages with a longer rod.

I'd buy the 7'6" rod. You'll be happier with it. ;)

Are you using spro type of frogs or soft plastic frogs like stanley ribbits and horny toads ? There would def be a difference in what kinda rod u wanna use for each one. Im gonna be using a 7 foot medium heavy fast this season for soft frogs and a longer heavier rod for the hollow body frogs.