Sign in to follow this  
Radical Conservative

Rod applications

Until last season, I never really focused too much on what size/action rod to use with what lure. I usually matched a reel up and then threw it on whatever rod I wanted. I'm wondering the size and action you guys use for different lures. Spinnerbaits, small shallow cranks, large deep cranks, jigs, worms, and topwater. I don't fish with expensive high-end rods so my choices are pretty limited to 6'0", 6'6", and 7'0" - M, MH, or H.

Thanks

what are the tip speeds on your rods??? example: fast, extra fast, moderate.

Tip speed can be a personal choice..I like the xf on most of my rods, others prefer a fast, which is a good way to go imho..You can always sell, and buy a xf if you feel the need.

Its becoming much easier now a days to find a company offering technique specific rods at a good price. Falcon and St. Croix are two good examples. But to answer your first question.

Loomis 7'm/xf for spinner baits. I really like the extra fast action for casting accurace and sensitivity.

For small shallow divers, to medium sized medium divers, I use a Loomis 7'm/med.fast. The slower rod tip allows the crankbait to work like it should as well as allow you to fight the fish better especially right at the boat(or bank).

For flippin jigs I use a 7'5 Loomis h/f.

For casting jigs and worms I use a 7' All Star mh/f. This could also be used for just about anything other than for crankbaits as you really need that limber tip.

As for topwater, I use a Loomis 6'5 mh/f. I dont know what kinds of topwaters you throw, but I hardly throw anything besides sammys, spooks, and skitterwalks. For walking baits like these, I like rods 6'8 and under.

Like I said, you dont have to pay a premium price anymore to find a rod built for a specific application. If you are looking for a specific brand I would look into Falcons. The Lowrider and Bucoo series of rods are priced about 140 and 100 respectively.

Jake