Sign in to follow this  
BadBass94

Baitcaster ratio?

I am looking to buy a new baitcaster and was wondering what really the ratio means on them. I dont know the differences on them and would like to know which would be the best for me to buy. ANy advice would be helpful thank you.

I am looking to buy a new baitcaster and was wondering what really the ratio means on them. I dont know the differences on them and would like to know which would be the best for me to buy. ANy advice would be helpful thank you.

Gear ratios are really not all too meaningful.  The one thing you should know is how much line the reel will pickup with a single turn of a handle.  Some small reels (such as the Core50Mg) say 7:1 gear ratio.  But their spools are small, so even at 7:1, they may only pickup the same amount of line in a bigger spool like the Curado 200 ...

That said, in GENERAL, I use the higher speed ratios for topwaters, flipping.  For cranking and blading, I use 5:1 and all others I use 6:1 ...

the ratio is simple...  say it's 6.3:1...  that means every time you turn the handle 1 time, the reel turns 6.3 times.  if it's 7:1, the reel turns 7 times every time you turn the handle once.

Higher the ratio, the faster you can reel it in.  now keep in mind you don't always have to reel like a maniac, you can most certainly reel slower for a slower retrieve.  a lower ratio will provide more power, but will have a slower retrieve rate. 

As has been mentioned, the amount of line retrieved per turn of the handle is the most important number when choosing the speed of a reel. It is usually expressed in Inches Per Turn or IPT. I find 26-28 IPT to be what I'm most comfortable with. I have a couple of 30 IPT reels that I use for heavy cover and buzzbaits. It just comes down to personal preference IMO. Good luck.

[movedhere] Fishing Tackle [move by] five.bass.limit.