Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Frog fishing And Spinning Reel?

I guide at night most of the time here in SE. Wisconsin! And I do day trips also, so my question is some people want to learn how to frog fish in the slop. But most people don't know how to use a bait caster or don't want to learn how. So is there a good spinning reel that would handle 65 lb. braid and no drag? If so, I need to stock up on some.

I only use only spinning and I use 20# braid on a frog rod, any decent reel is sufficient, its the rod that counts.  I could pull up the titanic with 20#.....lol

I used a Sahara 4000FB and 50# PowerPro for a little while without a problem.

FWIW, the drag on a spinning reel of that size can be more powerful than most stock baitcast reels. I believe it was about 17# on that Sahara.

I also use the Sahara 4000 on a Deep South 7'2" M/H all purpose rod, Vicious 50lb braid with no negatices. I've been using this set up for years and highly recomend it.

I have fished frogs through Lily pads in Southeast Wisconsin for a few years now with spinning gear. A heavier rod and my spidercast reel with 30 or 40lb braid seems to do the trick quite nicely

Ive caught muskies out of the wisconsin river with a 400 size reel and had no problem. I promise you can pull a bass out of any weeds that grow in our fine state.