Sign in to follow this  
CG Angler

What type of line should I use.

I fish ponds and small lakes. What type of line should I use for the type of fishing I do? I most use shaky head and top water buzzbaits... Mono or Floro? Any brand that is good?  This year I am going to start to use swimbaits (spro BBZ)and senkos.

Unless you have heavy cover ect..I'd go with the 10lb..cast's a little further.

Yozuri Hybrid Ultrasoft 12# (for baitcast)

Mono floats, fluoro sinks. I use mono on topwater baits and/or shallow/mid depth cranks and jerkbaits. Also the mono will stretch a bit which I find useful to delay the hook set. This gives me a better chance to keep the hook in the fish when I may be a little anxious with a topwater hook-set. The fluoro will not stretch, so it is better for situations where you are setting the hook based on feel instead of sight, IMO.

Forgot to mention I use spining reels. Also, I forgot which line floats and which sinks, and when would you use each?

Mono floats. Flouro and braids sink. Use mono for surface fishing. Personally, I'm very old school and use Trilene XL mono for everything on all my rigs, except catfish rig, which gets Trilene XT.

Mono floats, fluoro sinks. I use mono on topwater baits and/or shallow/mid depth cranks and jerkbaits. Also the mono will stretch a bit which I find useful to delay the hook set. This gives me a better chance to keep the hook in the fish when I may be a little anxious with a topwater hook-set. The fluoro will not stretch, so it is better for situations where you are setting the hook based on feel instead of sight, IMO.

Fluorocarbon will stretch,some will stretch more than mono.

Huh, thanks for the correction. Maybe the stuff I have been using isn't really fluoro. :-[

grimlin is right. I was doing some reading on this stretch issue and the best info I found on particular brands was at tt's Fluoro Showdown II- Stretch Tests.