Sign in to follow this  
angler1

Line memory with Berkley trans optic

I bought some of the new Berkley trans optic line in 17 and 25 lb test. I put it on my baitcasting reels last week. 17 lb for weightless worms and light jigs and the 25 lb for heavier jigs and pitchin stuff with up to a  3/4 oz weight.

I was wondering what kind/how much, if any line memory the line would retain after 1 week on the reels not being used. I took 10 feet off both reels. There is some memory, not a lot, but some. The memory is in the form of half coils if you get what I am saying. Will these partial coils come out if I throw a weightless worm or will I have to put more weight on the line to get the memory out, or is the memory perminent? This line is the first line that I have used in years that was not braid. Should I stick with braid?

I don't think thats so much to do with the transoptic as its just a monofilament (I think, I don't really know what transoptic is). Mono and flourocarbon both will hold memory more than braid. There are many methods and products to help ease this but it never completely goes away... just a part of fishing.

Here are some tips that help me:

1) Don't rig a lure so that it "spins" around your line unless you are using a swivel of some sort.

2) Use something like KVD line condition or Reel Magic to help condition your line.

3) If you get alot of twist, put your line out the back of the boat with nothing on it and let about 100 yards out.. then drive. Reel it back up with pressure on it and it removes alot of the original twist. Dosn't work as well with old memory. (If you don't own a boat, this also works by tieing your line to a tree with a swivel in-line. Then simply pull lightly and the line will untwist some.)

4) Change your line as often as you can afford... old line has many problems... including memory (especially if it sits unused).