Sign in to follow this  
.ghoti.

J Francho: I found the "black goo:!

John, finally saw what you described. It was in the one reel I dunked in the water last year.

This happened in October. I took the reel off the rod and left it in my reel case for a cleaning, and forgot about it until this past weekend.

As soon as I took it out of the case I remembered that it had been submerged for a couple of minutes, and gave myself a quick mental kick in the *** for forgetting all about it.

The main gear and pinion gear both had the goo in the depths of the teeth.

What's strange is, the reel felt just fine with the black goo in the gear teeth. Just as smooth cranking before cleaning and re-lubing as after.

I had serviced the reel right before that trip, so it had about two hours of use on a fresh service when it went in the drink.

Everything seems fine with the reel, a Flooger Summit that I've had for three years.

I've finished with all 18 of my baitcasters now, and this is the only one with the goo.

Haven't been into the spinning or fly reels yet. None of the spinning reels have been dunked. And, I didn't even get the fly rods out of the garage last year.

Just though I'd let you know that;

1. you're not seeing things, and

2. I'm not blind. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

GK

I've serviced one Quantum reel and it was chock full of black crap.

Sure that wasn't someone just playing a joke on you?  ;D

Sounds like a contamination issue  ;D

Actually, maybe that's the answer to the black goo.  I'm not a "lobber" when I cast.  I fire snap casts, with lots of spool speed, and stop the cast with my thumb.  Maybe I'm forcing water in there.  It rains here a lot too, and rain doesn't keep me from fishing.

At any rate, at least I'm not crazy, LOL.

Sounds like a contamination issue ;D

Actually, maybe that's the answer to the black goo. I'm not a "lobber" when I cast. I fire snap casts, with lots of spool speed, and stop the cast with my thumb. Maybe I'm forcing water in there. It rains here a lot too, and rain doesn't keep me from fishing.

At any rate, at least I'm not crazy, LOL.

I do the snap cast as well and it was reel that Burley found all the crap in.