Sign in to follow this  
Nick94

STUPID Rod Question

i have this rod which broke at the bottome of the last ring, so there is the second to last guide with a little rod, and ive continued to fish with it regardlessly. only seemed to affect my casting distance. Anything else that it could actually affect? (STUPID but still, i want to ask)

Get a replacement tip in any store.Then read that post by LAO162

Just remember,the action is now a little slower.

I've done it before and my rod is still usable and works great.I've caught well over 60 bass on that rod last year.I actually like my rod much,much more now that I've broken off 2"......Funny how that works.

The action wouldn't be slower, it would actually become faster since part of what broke off is the flexible section. Now the rod would be stiffer overall since the "new" tip of the rod is in a heavier section than before. Making a fast tip become an extra fast for example, because it's in a less flexible section now.

That's assuming he broke only the tip end of the rod down to the second guide back.

For some reasone when I first read this I had the impression that he had broken the rod so that ONLY 2 lineguides remained above the handle, in other words 1/2 or more of the rod is gone.  If this is right then you might have a use for that too.  Use an old reel on the broken rod, one that still works but is not something you fish with regularly, wind some heavy braid onto it and keep a plug knocker tied onto that setup so when you snag up a nice lure and it's down deep, all you have to do is let the plug knocker slide down the line to the lure and snag it, then pull it free and wind it up using the reel.  Having something like this can be a nice use for an otherwise unusable rod.  You can get the braid from another reel when it's time to change that line out for new, wind the old line onto the plug knocker reel. 

The action wouldn't be slower, it would actually become faster since part of what broke off is the flexible section. Now the rod would be stiffer overall since the "new" tip of the rod is in a heavier section than before. Making a fast tip become an extra fast for example, because it's in a less flexible section now.
Because, now more of the rod flexes, and by definition that is "slower." You associating the amount of force it takes to flex the rod with taper, and that isn't what taper is. A faster taper gets progressively smaller at the tip. Break the tip off, and the taper is slower than it was. Previously, the top 12" or so of the rod flexed on an X-Fast taper. Remove the tip, and more of the rod will flex, because the flexible tip is gone. Believe me, I've broken many tips, and I've never had a faster, more powerful rod as a result.

:-/ ::)

Extra fast and fast action rods don't load up as well as medium or slow action rods.  Therefore, they are overall a bit stiffer feeling.  Break a tip and see if the rod doesn't feel stiffer to you.  They do not load as well as before because you lost some of the flex.  That by definition makes them faster actions.  I cannot explain it any simpler.