Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

differences in mat punchong rod and swimbait rod.

What are some differences in a rod used for punching mats, and a swimbait rod? I got my mat pinching rod, and like it a lot. Was wondering if I could get the same one for swimbaits. It's a bps extreme, 7'11" heavy extra fast. Lure wt 5/8- 3 oz. Suggestions?

im not familiar with that rod but i would prob get something with a slower taper. why dont you throw a few swimbaits on your rod and see how you like it?

i use a 7' Heavy Fast (mbr844) for small swimbaits, although if i had a dedicated swimbait set up, i'd use a longer rod and one with a more moderate action.

when you are dealing with swimbaits that small (under 3 oz. ) , most flipping sticks will be fine . when you need the moderate taper on a swim bait rod is when you are using bigger baits and the mod. taper will allow the rod to load up and help you cast big baits a long ways . also if you are throwing big swimbaits , you are gonna need a stout rod to throw them , so by having a moderate taper , you will be able to fight a fish better and not injure the fish by tearing it's mouth up . anyhow , i guess none of that pertains to you if you are gonna be using baits under 3 oz. , cause they will fish just fine on a flipping stick ....  ;)